Numobams/Similar ELS Controller has problems

I got my Nema 24 motor in and went to mount it and discovered that not all Nema 24 motors have the 47.14 distance between mounting holes that the spec has. The motor I got in was 50.00 between centers. Had to return it and the only Nema 24 I could find with the right centers was only 3 NM. I ordered a Nema 23 with 3 NM but will take higher voltage. I have found that the smaller the motor the faster it will run. I am going to try and find the torque curves. Attached is the schematic of what would have been.

Nema 23 ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TQRT1GT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NEMA 24 is a bit of an outlier apparently.

My NEMA-24 (4 Nm) has 50mm spacing for the mounting holes, with a 60mm flange. My motor was spec'd at 60mm +/- 1mm. I designed my mounting bracket to the physical motor and the lathe.

NEMA-23's are far more common, but I wanted the additional torque. I knew the motor dimensions before I ordered it, because I was able to download the data sheet from the supplier. So I had no (big) surprises. The part fit the print. (24HS40-5004-E1000) And my parts fit the motor.

Now a days, expecting many manufacturers to not take short cuts, is not a safe bet... (Kind of a double negative sentence, what I meant to say is: "They will take short cuts." Buyer beware.)

Edit: Not sure there is a NEMA 24 in the "spec". But I do know it won't have the same mounting holes as a NEMA-23, which are 47.14 mm apart. I think the NEMA specs seem to say that the motor will fit within the envelope, (not be bigger than the envelope) but they don't guarantee mounting hole positions. At least that is what I read at some motor vendors... Even they said to be beware of mounting issues.

Last edited:
I now have results from the motor that are the best by far. This is what I ordered:

It came with a different driver than pictured. Wiring pictured below because the motor label was in Chinese and no documentation supplied.

I started with 40V driving the controller and was not happy with the torque.. I maxed out my 48v power supply at 57.5v and was very happy. The threading for 1.00 mm thread was happy at a chuck speed of 750RPM. My non-closed loop stepper maxed out at 350RPM after which it lost torque.

Since I will probably never go that high in speed I am looking to change the gear on the lead screw from 30T to 60T then just say the lead screw has changed from 2mm to 1mm thread.

Attached is the schematic for my system as it is now working. The closed loop motor is a much higher speed motor than the regular stepper. It exceeds my needs which is surprising for a smaller motor.

You can purchase all of the mechanical parts and the controller that I am using from Auido on Aliexpress. They are not the manufacturer but I find them responsive. There is no manual but the controller is intuitive and the end result is worth the effort.

UPDATE: I went to cut threads and discovered that the dipswitch on the controller had been incorrectly set for 3200 steps/revolution. When I set the controller for 1600 I was now running at double the speed for a thread so my performance was less than I thought. It is still much better than the supplied motor/controller from Nubams etc. I can cut 2mm threads in aluminum at 400 rpm on the chuck. If you stay below the HIGH setting on the display you will have no trouble. I have updated the wiring diagram and dip switch settings

Attachments

• lead screw controller closed loop 3.jpg
    lead screw controller closed loop 3.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back