Nylon/plastic what type

thomas s

Active User
Registered
I have a boat trailer the rubber wheels that the boat rolls on are worn. I would like to make bushings for the center of the rollers. What type of nylon or plastic would you recommend? thomas s.

I like Delrin for nearly all uses where "plastic" is appropriate or desirable, especially for its machining qualities; no long stringy chips wrap around the chuck (like nylon)!

I like Delrin for nearly all uses where "plastic" is appropriate or desirable, especially for its machining qualities; no long stringy chips wrap around the chuck (like nylon)!

Yep Delrin is good stuff. I have a lot if it in drops and scrap I’ve collected it is great for a lot of stuff. Downside it’s is pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a boat trailer the rubber wheels that the boat rolls on are worn. I would like to make bushings for the center of the rollers. What type of nylon or plastic would you recommend? thomas s.

Delrin is a great choice for wear resistance. HDPE would be another possibility.

One thing to consider; Delrin is not compliant so unless the roller conforms to the shape of the hull, damage to the hull may eventually occur. Urethane rollers are compliant but tough and have a wear resistanr bushing. Excellent choice for keel rollers.

If you choose to DIY, consider a urethane sleeve on the Delrin or HDPE roller.

You didn't say what geometry you wished to replace but West Marine has a good deal on 4" urethane wobble rollers.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/stoltz--rocker-rollers-wobble-smooth--P000488122?recordNum=30

Last edited:
POM (Delrin) is an excellent material to machine, it may not however be the best material for the application, polyethylene in one of its myriad forms will be less expensive but far more annoying to machine yet will likely outlast POM over time.

I Agree with RJ, Urethane rollers would be the best choice IMHO because they are as RJ Stated both very Durable yet they have a "Give" to then that will conform to the keel instead of causing damage that will show over time.

Last edited:
Back