Odd mill/drill heirloom

This is why I installed the hole pattern for the straight edges on the table. I drilled this 2x4 to hold my screw machine length drill bits so I can have instant access and it's easy to see what I have.

The straight edge counteracts the rotational forces and makes holding the work by hand super easy.

20240505_081723.jpg

Why don't ya use a coupler nut on the top of the drawbar & just a single nut to lock the coupler on ? Makes it mucy easier to get a wrench on it to tighten or loosen
animal

Why don't ya use a coupler nut on the top of the drawbar & just a single nut to lock the coupler on ? Makes it mucy easier to get a wrench on it to tighten or loosen
animal
I did just that today. I had heavy duty nuts on there but now all my main bolts and drawbar are 9/16", so one wrench does everything for day to day drilling.

The only thing I had to check was if I drilled and tapped all the tooling deep enough. Had to tap my keyless chuck a bit deeper. No problem.

I used loctite joint retaing compound on the nut and pinned it with a roll pin so it can't rotate.

Just a comment on the power requirements for drilling holes from early in the thread. The calculators give you the spindle hp it takes given the parameters. Motor hp multiplied by drive ratio gives spindle hp. So if your drive ratio is 4:1 in low, and the motor hp is 1/2, then the spindle sees 2 hp. Obviously that's just an estimate of one facet of the operation and there is more to it when it comes to the machine doing the job, but it's worth mentioning.

Just a comment on the power requirements for drilling holes from early in the thread. The calculators give you the spindle hp it takes given the parameters. Motor hp multiplied by drive ratio gives spindle hp. So if your drive ratio is 4:1 in low, and the motor hp is 1/2, then the spindle sees 2 hp. Obviously that's just an estimate of one facet of the operation and there is more to it when it comes to the machine doing the job, but it's worth mentioning.
My first step is 2" to 6", and then a 2" to 10". 1725 rpm. On low.

It powered through a 1" drill bit really easily. I really like that old girl....

Last edited:
Back