Oh no, another drum switch dilemma!

Mike: The diagram I posted is only for the GE switch you showed in post #1.
If you want to use the small Furnas switch instead, we'll probably need a different diagram
That's a cute little switch, really vintage. First one I've seen
-Mark
Mark, Thats not the one I'll be using unless The other doesn't work out but I'm sure it will. . It is very crowded inside for wiring. The connections are all on top and are circular.

Solve your problem forever........ Get a reversing motor starter or two relays and a 3 position toggle switch. Did mine years ago they even survived being underwater when IRMA flooded my shop. Still clicking

No doubt the systems described by fixit in post #12 are better ways to do it. The advantage of the drum switch is it's simplicity
-M

No doubt the systems described by fixit in post #12 are better ways to do it. The advantage of the drum switch is it's simplicity
-M
It sure was better for me. The drum switch only lasted just over a year. My relays have lasted 10 years and went through a flood 3 years ago and still work. I see people begging for help with drum switches all the time on here, To each his own.

This will work with the GE drum switch you have. Configure the motor as per the High voltage diagram
Pull off the black motor wire from terminal #5 and extend it to reach the drum switch
Be sure to ground the switch and motor as shown for safety
Swap black and red motor wires if necessary to match motor rotation with switch handle, or, swap line 1 and 4
-M
View attachment 343983
Hey Mark, I wired it to the diagram and Thumbs down. What happened was when I turned it to one position it jumped on and made a rather loud hum and when I shut it off it stoped in about 2 sec. In the other position it did seem normal and took roughly 5-8 sec to stop and sounded normal. Then I tried it a few minutes later and it did the same in both directions meaning it jumped on and made that rather loud hum both ways and stopped in a couple of sec. And the capacitor felt warm for only running a few seconds. Check the pics and see if It's wired right. I think it is according to the diagram.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• 20201114_104321.png
    20201114_104321.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20201114_104457.jpg
    20201114_104457.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 11
You are supplying it with 220/240 volts, correct?
The wiring looks OK- the brown motor wire is pulled and insulated, correct?
Sounds like it is reversing as it should- You can always remove the drum switch from the circuit and test the motor by itself. It's possible the centrifugal switch in the motor is malfunctioning. You should be able to hear it clicking when the motor spins down
I need to leave for a couple hours but I shall return

Last edited:
You are supplying it with 220/240 volts, correct?
The wiring looks OK- the brown motor wire is pulled and insulated, correct?
Sounds like it is reversing as it should- You can always remove the drum switch from the circuit and test the motor by itself. It's possible the centrifugal switch in the motor is malfunctioning. You should be able to hear it clicking when the motor spins down
I need to leave for a couple hours but I shall return
Yes to 220 & brown wire. I unhooked from switch and wired to motor (220) and it ran OK in both directions ( switched Red & Blk) ,and centrifugal switch worked as it should.
So it must be a wire in the wrong place in the switch. Could it be that jumper on 3 & 5 on the switch? What would happen if you connect the other hot wire to the terminal that your diagram shows (NC) which would have a hot wire on 1 & 5 in the switch. I have no idea, just guessing.

Attachments

• 20201114_131629.png
    20201114_131629.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
I suspect a problem at the switch or in the switch. Let me cogitate for a bit .
Do you have a multimeter of some kind?
As a test, move the black motor wire from switch terminal #4 to the NC switch terminal #1. Everything else the same
-M

Last edited:
As a test, move the black motor wire from switch terminal #4 to the NC switch terminal #1. Everything else the same
-M
I do have a meter. I just tried it like you said and in FWD it's CW and normal. In REV it's CCW and loud hum and stops in a couple of sec with no centrifugal switch sound.

Mike

-M
Mark, Do you think the red motor wire should be extended to #4. I read some other threads somewhere where the red & black need to go on 3 & 4? Don't remember if it was for 110 or 220 though.

Back