[4]

Oh No, Another One Followed Me Home

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
This showed up on Craigslist this morning. It's a Canedy-Otto Number 24 bench drill press. The price was right, so it followed me home. I am guessing that it's about 90 years old and in amazing shape. The owner said that his grandfather owned and cobbled up a motor for it. The motor isn't that old. I sure wish that it had the original one.

Vintage Machinery didn't have much info on it. Does anyone here know anything about this model drill press? I am going to clean this one up and put it in a place of honor.

Attachments

francist

Active User
Nice, Canedy-Otto made good stuff.

I find this in my 1924 Mc & Mc catalogue here if it's of any use to you. They were purveyors of general hardware and logging supplies here on the coast and are not significant to your machine other than contextual reference for the specifications and/or cost. Don't be alarmed at the price -- it's in Canadian dollars.... ;)

image.jpeg

-frank

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Randy that’s a real nice drill press.
Cheers
Martin

randyjaco

Active User
Thanks guys. It's going to look a lot nicer in a couple of weeks. The design just appeals to me. I have never seen a small drill press with a miter (crown) gear drive before.
Randy

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That thing is beautiful!
Great find.
-brino

T Bredehoft

Active User
That is one really nice little machine! It appears that the base plate was finished on a shaper.

Dave Smith

Active User
This showed up on Craigslist this morning. The motor isn't that old. I sure wish that it had the original one.
Randy--very good find--it didn't have an original motor--just the one that drove the line shaft---maybe you need to put a line shaft in your shop--I have several machines that were originally driven from a line shaft---Dave

randyjaco

Active User
Yeah, that base plate was either done on a shaper or a horizontal milling machine. Very linear striations.
At this point the drill press is going to keep the electric motor. No more flat belts ;-)

Randy

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I love the old iron, so beautifully engineered and manufactured.
Good job on the build.

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Man! I just love old/vintage machines. No doubt new stuff has it's pro's, but they are not sexy to look at. 30's-40's deco inspired is just mind blowingly beautiful. Nice addition!

Last edited:

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Randy, Guys,

Very nicely refurbished indeed. Good to see that someone appreciates old iron, that drill will still be going in another lifetime.

oldepole

Registered
Looks like a work of art.

wileel

Registered
Wow, thats a great looking machine and you did a great job! That was an expensive piece back in the day...ran an inflation calculator and $90 in 1924 is $1326 in todays bucks!

oldepole

Registered
I've seen the big brother to yours a few times on CR for around $1000. I'd love to have one of those.
I want that wet grinder in the pic too.

Attachments

dcnera05

Registered
Wow, a nice find. I am pretty sure a friend of mine has one of those in his grandfather's old shop. It has a pretty distinctive look to it for sure. It would probably have followed me home too.

[6]
[5] [7]