Oh, the Horror!

On the CNC Milling centers at work. We mount 2” Aluminum plate. Then we are able to put mounting wherever we need it. Also when one does cut too deep it is only the Aluminum plate.

We used to do a lot of A&B side cutting on sheets of ABS. So we also have a line of 5/16 dowel pin holes running along X axis on 1/2” spacing. Makes for quick and easy setup. Also use a bunch of soluble sided tap to hold work down.

Cutting oil is my blood.

On the CNC Milling centers at work. We mount 2” Aluminum plate. Then we are able to put mounting wherever we need it. Also when one does cut too deep it is only the Aluminum plate.

We used to do a lot of A&B side cutting on sheets of ABS. So we also have a line of 5/16 dowel pin holes running along X axis on 1/2” spacing. Makes for quick and easy setup. Also use a bunch of soluble sided tap to hold work down.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Is not the sacrificial underneath plate a deliberate strategy for through slot milling?

Is not the sacrificial underneath plate a deliberate strategy for through slot milling?

Normally yes. What we used to do at my work was different from most shops. We did rapid prototyping and part of that was to make master patterns for urethane molds. I am talking like making panels for products where we would have to section the parts into smaller pieces to fit our machines. 20-40 to 64-32 table sizes. Then bond the prices together to make the master. We would always run lights out. Some programs running 4 days nonstop. Was not out of the norm. It was always a nail biter coming in on Monday to see if something failed. Say a broken cutter or the likes.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back