Oil bottle?

JeepsAndGuns

Active User
Registered
I am looking for a decent quality little oil bottle to oil my machine. My smithy granite has "buttons" that are used to oil it, they kinda look like the tip of a grease fitting (tiny spring loaded ball bearing) but are much larger and are flat. I bought the machine used, it appears to have been decently taken care of, I removed the cross slide and some other stuff to clean and inspect and all looks well. Now I just want to keep it up by oiling it when I should. It did not come with any type of oiler.
So I suppose I need some type of oil bottle that has a flexable spout and a tip that can work with those buttons, and also be able to push the oil in it properly.

I have no idea what to buy or even search for. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Most pump oilers will have the correct type of tip to work with those ball oilers. The very tip will be flat, small in diameter, with a small hole in the end. Keep in mind that they do not make or even require a perfect seal, so yes if you push the nozzle against the oiler crooked, it will gush oil all over. Try to pump your oil slowly so that it goes where you need it.

I have a number of different oil cans here, and I find the ones with the flexible spout to be a bit more useable as they will work in more situations than the straight ones. The straight ones will not work very well with ball oilers that are on the top of something, as tipping the can up causes oil to leak out through the vent hole. The longer the flex spout, the better. Some people don't like flex spouts, claiming that they leak. The trick with them is to not force them into an arc that is tighter than they were designed for. This forces the coils of the spout apart, allowing them to leak.

I find the ones with the flexible spout to be a bit more useable as they will work in more situations than the straight ones. The straight ones will not work very well with ball oilers that are on the top of something

That was exactly my thinking, as there are a couple buttons on the top of the cross slide and compound, and I was thinking a straight spout would not work good for that.

Cavebob, thanks for the link. I never even thought about looking on amazon. I looked at other models by the same company and found this one. It may fit the bill.
http://www.amazon.com/GOLDENROD®-In..._sbs_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EW2P4TYEZAV7TPBSNEB

I have a couple of that exact pump oil can, one red (spindle oil), one brown (way oil), and they do the job very nicely. I've also got a smaller can with a rigid spout that I no longer use for the lathe or mill, as it did not work well for the reasons we already discussed. It now gets used for cutting oil.

I never even thought about looking on amazon. I looked at other models by the same company and found this one. It may fit the bill.
http://www.amazon.com/GOLDENROD%C2%AE-Industrial-Pump-Oilers-industri/dp/B004F7JFZK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EW2P4TYEZAV7TPBSNEB

Enco seem to have the GoldenRod items but does not list them as such ... http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=944572&PMAKA=505-1264 ... only as "Made in the USA".

The price for the oiler is more than on Amazon but if you have other items you can probably qualify for free shipping, which in the Amazon case is 80% the cost of the oiler.

Arvid

Tractor Supply also carries the Golden Rod oilers, but painted red and missing the Golden Rod brand. They are otherwise identical in every way.

MSC also carried these, that's probably obvious but what I'm getting at is my local MSC outlet has them on the showroom floor so anyone can just walk in a get one the same day.

I've been wanting to pick up a couple of them with the case hardened triggers but my clear bottle oilers haven't let me down yet. If/when they do I may try them.

Tractor Supply also carries the Golden Rod oilers, but painted red and missing the Golden Rod brand. They are otherwise identical in every way.

Humm, there is a tractor supply here in town. I may stop by there this weekend and check before I order the one on amazon.

Back