Oil bottle?

Here's a re-purposed oiler.
Used nasal spray bottle, squirter removed, drill .070 hole thru cap, epoxy in a basket ball needle. After curing, dremel cut-off at side hole. Break sharp edges as needed. Add o-ring. Fill with desired lubricant. Great for the tiny ball plunger oilers.

oiler_01.jpg

Some where over at McMaster while looking for oil covers such as the button type I found small plastic bottles that has the needle type applicator,which at that time I said to myself I will order them next time.Well after reading this post I went back to find them so that would post here but I can't find them.I did find this and if the tip is small enought it should work.http://www.mcmaster.com/#1258k71/=rtyi39
Found it,this is what I use but I think the other will work just alittle large 12oz
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/1708/=rtynk8

Well I stopped by tractor supply. They had a few with their name on it, but said goldenrod right there on the handle. I get the one with the flex spout fill it with air compressor oil and give it a try. No luck :angry: The tip on the spout is too small for the oil buttons. It will push down the ball, but it is too small to seal around the hole and it all just comes right back out instead of getting pumped into the port.
There are two different size buttons on my lathe, it works on the smaller ones, but not the bigger ones. (there are more bigger ones than smaller ones) So I am kinda back to square one unless I can find a different tip (which does not look like it is removable)
Returning to this thread. My solution of using shrink-wrap tubing worked until the shrink-wrap became too soft so then I had a new idea. I smoke but I also use a butane soldering iron a lot (Weller Pyropen). The tips that come in the tops of generic butane refill cans work great.

I needed to wrap a little scrap of paper towel around the can's tip to get a real good seal between it and the plastic "funnel" but it seals very well in the ball oiler. There are a few tips in the refill's top that will work and they're easily notched so they don't seal against the ball.

Update: Combining my old scrap of shrink tubing with the tiny refill tips works wonderfully, seals all around and the tip stays on the Goldenrod!

Last edited:
I ended up making mine work. I got looking at it one day and noticed the tip was long and tapered. So I took a file and filed back the tip some untill I got to a larger part of the taper. It now fits the larger oil buttons, but no longer fits the smaller ones. No big problem, as I got looking and the small buttons simply just drip down on top of the cross slide screw, I can oil that from under the slide with the flex spout.
I can say that everything now moves more easaly.

Back