[4]

Oil Can #2

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I was greatly inspired by Hackmasters beautiful oil can clone. I decided to do a run of my own with a simpler design. It was suggested that I start a new thread here and not hijack the other thread.
The plan was originally solid brass. I realized that the pump housing would add too much weight so I went with an aluminum pump housing.

I was sort of emulating this original as posted by Hackmaster:

EAGLE66.jpg

Here is the base pattern:

14%2B-%2B3.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

Its about 3/16" thick at the edge. I will turn it down more when it is brass.

R

Attachments

Last edited:

rwm

Active User
Trigger
14%2B-%2B8.jpg

14%2B-%2B7.jpg

Starting the pump housing
14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

Had to make a homemade drive dog for this. The housing is turned to fit the ID of the brass tubing that will be the container.
Next step is to mount in in a 4 jaw chuck and bore holes for the piston and the output tube.
Setup for reaming the pump housing:

14%2B-%2B5.jpg

It was good to do the boring on the lathe because I could drill ream and tap the threads accurately in the same line.

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

The large brass screws just mark the threaded holes for the pickup tube and the output. All the passages are now crossdrilled. I have to figure out the valving next.

Here is the brass tube segment.

14%2B-%2B3.jpg

I ended up cutting it with the portaband. Worked fine. I will finish the ends on the lathe or disc sander so it is really square and smooth. This will get soldered to the base after it is cast.

I made some progress!

14%2B-%2B3.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

14%2B-%2B4.jpg

14%2B-%2B5.jpg

I am very pleased so far. But will the trigger leak???
Next is casting the base and the lid.

I bored holes in the brass tube on the mill :

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B3.jpg
Here it is mocked up with the base and the cap.
Now I just have to find the time to cast these parts!

Casted tonight and got two usable sets:

14%2B-%2B6.jpg

14%2B-%2B5.jpg

14%2B-%2B4.jpg

14%2B-%2B3.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

I used mixed yellow brass. I am not sure how the color match will be with the rest of the parts. If it is way off I may have to go to 85 three 5 and re-cast them.
I did a little experiment and put the runner in the drag for one and the cope for the other. Both look OK so far. I got to 1800 on the TC and then skimmed and poured. The discoloration is normal for Petrobond and will come right off.

I machined the castings. One had a few large defects but I machined them off.

Base:
14%2B-%2B2.jpg

Top:
14%2B-%2B3.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B1.jpg

Looks pretty good!

Time to solder the body to the base. I was worried about the best way to apply the solder. I came up with this. I made a round ring of solder that fit inside the body. I then fluxed both pieces, assembled it and heated from the outside. It worked great!

SELuCSZIribY1RyFiQNw4wJn0PnbPbWGi8kps3MxDs7LgHp_VRjgQuNNP8G-BLF9vX0vskhh70zb9ZcVi=w1902-h1075-no.jpg

You can't see the solder joint at all after cleanup.

Here is the detail of the cap and hold down screw. Note the vent notch.

jWUBLXFDlJhBn7scErmz4eP0pxVf3GF1K_jtpvZ0-y9ibRMnaaR_mrCm97l06Eiu3X3m-50QRRX0Cn-t9=w1902-h1075-no.jpg

JMIB9O1a_xbosGceCgt0LH-20XmQiCp1c-GMGUcNncxRbdKOoFNUEPrrU-BYb1drO3Y3Pxe1ShTLAZ14K=w1902-h1075-no.jpg

This one is a Christmas present so I need to make some more for my shop!

uLTGwtFFovdgR7wrcgiCgqFLJBjAeAizhtHtKZUZ6TjBnp9PuZSsgDmOaSoW4v3nO2KKzp-XWP4koeFsg=w1902-h1075-no.jpg
I did all the valve housing boring and tapping on the lathe again. No problems.

I started some plans on Sketchup. I'm not real familiar with that program but it seems to work OK.

I will post these here as JPGs.

Oiler%2Bcontainer.jpg

Oiler%2Bpump%2Bhousing.jpg

Oiler%2Btrigger%2Band%2Bpiston.jpg

Oiler%2Binlet%2Bvalve.jpg

Oiler%2Boutlet%2Btube.jpg

Oiler%2Bmisc%2Bparts.jpg

Machining and Construction Notes:

Container-

The brass tubing for the body is standard for bar rails (US). 2" OD, 0.050" thick.

Valves-

Small spring for the outlet valve- A very light spring is needed. These can often be scrounged from small electronic devices like tape players, old VCRs etc. If the spring length is not right just stretch it. An extension spring can be stretched out to make a small compression spring. This spring should barely push on the ball.

The inlet valve does not use a spring. Gravity and oil pressure work fine. The piston spring captures the ball bearing for this valve.

The pickup tube should not protrude up and interfere with the ball. The pickup tube may be up-sized if very think oil is anticipated.

A twist drill leaves a nice valve seat if there is no chatter. Check for this. The valve seats can be polished with Dremel type tools or a dowel with rouge.

Pump housing-

You cannot do the boring/reaming on a lathe with out a good 4 jaw chuck.

The housing is turned on the lathe as shown to create curved ends. This allows a perfect seal inside the brass tube accommodating rubber washers that are .050" thick. The correct housing width is 1.800".

Start by drilling the vertical passage. Drill first all the way through with 5/32 and then up-size each end.

It is critical that the hole for the piston and the piston bushing be accurately concentric. Drill, ream, and tap this in consecutive operations without changing the work holding fixture whether lathe or mill.

The other passageways are not so critical.

The boss at the top of the housing looks good but may interfere with work holding. Plan it out.

Outlet tube-

Grip a 3/8 x 24 x1" screw by the threads and turn the head round. Then you can grip it by the head for drilling operations. This gets finger tightened against an O ring in the housing. The nut is then tightened down on the container body.

All non-threaded connections can be soldered with regular low temp solder and a propane torch. Turn the piece on the lathe and file off any extra solder.

15%2B-%2B1.jpg

Stainless anyone?

15%2B-%2B1.jpg

This is for use with cooking oil.

R

Attachments

Last edited:

brav65

Active User
Incredibly nice work. I am new to all of this, but plan to make this one of my projects. Thanks!

David S

Active User
Extremely nice machining, but also photography and documentation.

Thank you for posting.

David

zmotorsports

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Wow. Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Beautiful work, it belongs in a museum of art.

Greg

sgisler

Active User
Great project! Thanks for the fantastic write up. For not being familiar with Sketchup, the drawings look quite good!
Putting these on my to-do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
I was trying to envision how the pump was made and it's so obvious once someone else points it out! :) This is definitely going to be a future project as I've yet to find an oil can that I really like.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you for posting your write up. You did great work here and should be very proud of it. I have a question. Where did you find 3/8-24 brass bolts? I cannot find them anywhere. Not even McMaster Car or on the web. I can't even find them in stainless. Did you make them?

rwm

Active User
Thanks for the kind words. As a new member I'm glad to contribute here.
The screws can be found here:

Fastenal:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products?term=0179607&searchMode=

Be careful on the price! For some reason the 3/8 x 24 x 1" are $7.91 each but the 3/8 x 24 x 1.25" are $0.27????
Also, you will find that the heads are not centered to the shafts so chucking on the threads becomes necessary.

McMaster has the SS ones:
part number 92240A354

R

EDIT: And really Hackmaster should get most of the credit for the original idea. I had no interest in oil cans until I saw his awesome work!

Last edited:

rafe

Active User
Registered
very nice oil can, I will make one someday myself thanks for the postings

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thanks for the kind words. As a new member I'm glad to contribute here.
The screws can be found here:

Fastenal:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products?term=0179607&searchMode=

Be careful on the price! For some reason the 3/8 x 24 x 1" are $7.91 each but the 3/8 x 24 x 1.25" are $0.27????
Also, you will find that the heads are not centered to the shafts so chucking on the threads becomes necessary.

McMaster has the SS ones:
part number 92240A354

R

Thank you very much. I just ordered some.

rrjohnso2000

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Another compliment, great work and writeup.

Would you you please give an update on the can works for the cooking oil. Leaking oil on the countertop is a bit of a pet peeve for me.

rwm

Active User
Another compliment, great work and writeup.

Would you you please give an update on the can works for the cooking oil. Leaking oil on the countertop is a bit of a pet peeve for me.
I will. I am hoping to calibrate it as in x number of pumps per tablespoon.
I see you are from the CLT. Small world!
R

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Very nice work, my hat is off to you! Isn't there some kind of galvanic corrosion between brass and aluminum though?

rwm

Active User
Very nice work, my hat is off to you! Isn't there some kind of galvanic corrosion between brass and aluminum though?
Now you tell me!
I assume all dissimilar metals have this. I don't think it will be a big problem in practice. I will let you know in a few years!
R

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Now you tell me!
I assume all dissimilar metals have this. I don't think it will be a big problem in practice. I will let you know in a few years!
R
Haha okay!

I have a homemade book press in the barn, aluminum plates and a piece of brass allthread through it. There is significant corrosion on the entire thing, but the only thing locked up was the allthread/aluminum mating surfaces. But it has been out in a barn in NY (Hot and very humid summers) for 15-16 years so I'm sure that must be part of it.

Sorry if I have made you worried haha, but since it's in a oil can after all I doubt it will be a problem in your situation. If something happens some mylar sheet between the pump body and brass tube will stop all contact. Roll it up into a tube, slip it in the body.

Jamiethesquid

Active User
Registered
Really Fantastic work, I can't wait to try making one. One of my first outdoor spring projects is to set up a foundry.

Ken_Shea

Active User
Never saw an oil can I didn't like and never saw one I liked better then these !

I love them.

Ken

rwm

Active User
Jamie- Make sure you join Alloy Avenue.com if you have not.
R

Jamiethesquid

Active User
Registered
Just did. I read everything on Back Yard metal casting.com. I think a small OIL Burner furnace is the way I will go. I stopped at my neighborhood sandwich shop / convenience store at lunch today and asked the owner what he did with his fryer oil. He took me next door to his house and pointed to a 55gal poly drum and told me to help myself whenever I wanted. So fuel is no problem.

Jamie

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
Jamie- Make sure you join Alloy Avenue.com if you have not.
R
I joined a couple of months ago. I am collecting parts for a foundry furnace. I took foundry classes in high school and college, and really liked them. Never had the facilities to do it at home, but I'm trying to change that now.

Awesome project! Thank you for posting!

GG

rwm

Active User
Need advice

I have never brazed SS. For the SS model I need to braze the base to the body. I do not want to TIG it 'cause it will look like crap and probably leak. I have some silver solder that is like 56% Ag. What is the correct solder to use for 304 SS and what is the correct flux? Can I get enough heat with a large propane torch or do I need Oxy? Any other tips?
R

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Man, you do nice work!:thumbsup2:

rwm

Active User
Soldering Stainless

Not much experience soldering stainless. At first I thought I had just made a mess:

15%2B-%2B3.jpg

Then I realized the solder had flowed correctly and made a water tight seal! I cleaned it up on the lathe:

15%2B-%2B1.jpg

15%2B-%2B2.jpg

Sorry this took so long.
R

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]