Oil lathe ways

cannonmakerken

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How often should I oil the ways on my hobby Southbend lathe I don't use it every day. Thanks Ken

I'm pretty new at this machining stuff but I oil mine almost every time I use the lathe. The thing is, after I get done using the lathe for the day, I clean up my mess and wipe all the oily mess up with a shop towel. So, the next time I use the lathe I feel I should get some fresh oil on the ways.

I think there is no definitive answer to this. It really depends on how and how often do you use the lathe. Even when unused, you should oil the surfaces of your machines every now and then, so that they don’t start developing rust. This applies especially in humid conditions.

How often should I oil the ways on my hobby Southbend lathe I don't use it every day. Thanks Ken
It depends on how long you want the ways to last
The sb I had about every 2 hours I think the book said 4 hours.
Use #2 ‐ 4 waylub I have #4.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I wipe the ways off before starting a project then wipe them down after then spray with fluid film or LPS3 after use. I use toilet paper for cleanup it's cheep and works well for grabbing the fine swarf.

Last edited:
South Bend recommended daily oiling for full-time use of their light industrial lathes.

I’m thinking there’s never a time when a coating of oil should be absent, and never a time when adding more does harm (beyond being messy).

I use an Eagle 66 oil can, hold the tip right on the felt wipers, and inject enough oil into the front to fully saturate it. Then I wipe the ways and then run the carriage back and forth. Keeping those felts dripping wet is the continuous oiling mechanism for the ways.

Rick “the tailstock, too” Denney

Many lathes have automatic oilers so they pump oil to the ways as you use them.
Some have one shot oilers that you pull a handle on occasion.
My old bruiser has the automatic type oiler.
There is a small pump that moves oil from the sump in the apron as you move the carriage - to the carriage ways, cross slide ways and the shafts and gearing in the travadial. I will still give it a few squirts here and there if it has sat for more than a few days before I do any turning.
I'm not real fastidious about keeping my lathe so tidy but I do keep it well oiled.

Back