Ok, I should know this but maybe I am too tired….how to wire single phase PM mill

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The mill has 3 wires, two black and one that looks like a ground wire. It is yellow and green. The two black are no problem, they go to the wires that attach to the two circuit breakers. I have 6/3 wire that has a neutral (white) and separate ground wire, to wire back to the panel (about 65 feet away) in addition to a red and black wire.

Red and black attach to the black mill power wires and go to the circuit breakers. No problem there.

Normally I would take a green/yellow wire and put it to the ground wire. That would mean no neutral wire to the mill if I grounded the yellow/green wire. Looking for a bit of guidance on this…..thank you in advance!
88F2A25C-81E7-47C9-B436-890D12C9E874.jpeg

It would seem that no neutral is necessary, and on some systems, neutral is bonded to ground. You might want to run neutral to the machine anyway for a lighting circuit (suitably fused), or just run a separate lighting/plug circuit to the machine

It would seem that no neutral is necessary, and on some systems, neutral is bonded to ground. You might want to run neutral to the machine anyway for a lighting circuit (suitably fused), or just run a separate lighting/plug circuit to the machine
What I did was run a two 4 plug outlets. Planned on taking power to the outlets, one per set of outlets. Can I get away with each 4 plug outlet pulling power off one of the power sides of cable that goes to breaker box. Can I run both outlets to a common neutral Even though they have different power supply sides?

My wires are below…..

E693186B-BFC0-411A-B24C-4DEB88A531C2.jpeg

35462E70-1BEA-4FDC-AF2C-B0E8B006CE66.jpeg

554F00A2-F919-4221-B709-39F76201F2F3.jpeg

Single Phase 120 / 240V Power

L1 _________________240V

L2 _________________240V

N___________________Neutral
|
|
|___Green __________Ground

L1 & L2 = 240V
L1 & N = 120V
L2 & N = 120V

Since there is not a major load on the neutral, (maybe), but I'd rather see a dedicated pair of conductors feeding the machine; the approach seems a bit half A--ed to me, but others may feel differently; more opinions would be a good thing.

Once the loads on that neutral remains reasonable, I think he's ok. I am planning a similar layout, the 120V only loads on that neutral in my case, would be X-axis Drive, Z-Axis drive, DRO PS, LED lamp PS, Tachometer PS. Maybe 3Amps tops, could probably even fuse that 120V supply at 5A just as a failsafe.
Anything else would be from another shop outlet.

Last edited:
Once the loads on that neutral remains reasonable, I think he's ok. I am planning a similar layout, the 120V only loads on that neutral in my case, would be X-axis Drive, Z-Axis drive, DRO PS, LED lamp PS, Tachometer PS.
Anything else would be from another shop outlet.
Yup, x,y,z each axis drive pull an amp max, then the light but will probably get a LED light and the readout for x,y and z.

The readout is no more than .1 amp max

Back