Ok, I should know this but maybe I am too tired….how to wire single phase PM mill

What you are describing is a classic quad box trick. Right outlet is L1, left is L2. Key thing: you MUST have a 240 dual pole breaker feeding this setup. You can't have two separate 120 breakers!
With the dual its safe to do. You could pull 4 wire romex to all the loads on this circuit if you want to save a couple wires. Ground, neutral, black L1 hot and red L2 hot. As you load both the L1 and L2 with 120 loads you actually reduce the neutral current back to the panel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What you are describing is a classic quad box trick. Right outlet is L1, left is L2. Key thing: you MUST have a 240 dual pole breaker feeding this setup. You can't have two separate 120 breakers!
With the dual its safe to do. You could pull 4 wire romex to all the loads on this circuit if you want to save a couple wires. Ground, neutral, black L1 hot and red L2 hot. As you load both the L1 and L2 with 120 loads you actually reduce the neutral current back to the panel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
This is what I have….and I am guessing based on your description not what I should use….comment? My box takes the homeline circuit breakers from Square D.

That IS a dual-pole 240V 20A breaker
What confuses me is “You can't have two separate 120 breakers!” When I look at the back side of the breaker it looks like two separate 120 breakers with a joint at the trip point so they both trip together. I know I am missing something here….I need some help understanding the wrong breaker vs. the correct breaker….

You are correct in your observation. Two separate breakers would allow each phase to operate independently. The handles being tied together insures both phases are energized and disconnected simultaneously.
Jay

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, this is not always the case. As any one working with electricity has found, often to their chagrin. http://www.hudsontelcom.com/uploads/ShopElex.pdf Fires tend to leave the spouse a little angry. . . On checking the link, it shows "file not found". I will follow up and repost. . .

When splitting the 240 volts into two 120 volt lines, a shared neutral is theoretically acceptable. The neutral must have the capacity to carry the maximum load on one of the 120 volt circuits. Any excess would be carried as two loads in series from a 240 volt feed, actually reducing the single 120 volt load on the neutral.

All of this is grand theory, what actually matters is what the local electrical codes permit. Any deviation from their "normal" way of doing things would, at the very least, put your homeowners insurance at risk. Times are starting to get hard and they will look for any excuse to avoid paying out. Even if the damage has no relation to the machines. Losing your roof to a storm would still be related to the electrical system in the eyes of an insurance adjustor. Wiring "convenience" outlets from the same breaker as a 240 volt load would be theoretically doable, But it is not the "norm".

I would advise that "convenience" outlets be electrically separate from the machine load for this reason alone. Multiple circuits back to the panel can, and often are, be legally placed in the same conduit. "Piggy-back" breakers are available if the circuit count availability is too low. All it costs is a little more copper, and a little more effort on the part of the installer. And a couple of piggy-backs. Of course, we all know, advice is an opinion, just like an a$$hole, which everyone has and most of them smell pretty bad. Check on what local codes allow, that's where the "rubber meets the road".

EDIT: It seems that GoDaddy has dropped my web structure. I no longer have a copy of the text files so I guess anyone looking is out of luck.

Last edited:
Seems the savings aren’t worth my time fussing and trying to make it work. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of 100’ 12/2 and a circuit breaker to power the 120 volt items…..now I can plug in a shop vac and not worry about it running when the mill is running too!

Thank you everyone for trying to help an electrically dangerous person! Ha!

My recommendation is to run the 240 and an entirely separate 120 in the same conduit. That way you can match breaker size for each application. This is what I did:

20210605_165507.jpg

The extra deep electrical box is mounted to the back of the mill. Installed two 20 amp commercial receptacles. The 240 line to the mill head plugs in the top. The 240 and 120 wires have plenty of room. Clean install I think.

My recommendation is to run the 240 and an entirely separate 120 in the same conduit. That way you can match breaker size for each application. This is what I did:

View attachment 368267

The extra deep electrical box is mounted to the back of the mill. Installed two 20 amp commercial receptacles. The 240 line to the mill head plugs in the top. The 240 and 120 wires have plenty of room. Clean install I think.
See my comment above you message….

Back