OK, I'm broke again....

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
Been mining on Ebay this morning gathering tools and stuff for the mill to arrive. Still cant decide whether to go 6 or 8 on the rotary table, but everthing else should start arriving soon and by the time the mill gets here from CT I shoul be tooled up and ready to get busy making scrap metal. I found a really nice ER32 set, and bought the pneumatic vice that was relisted, and got a hold down kit so I just have to decide which rotary table and I chould be done gathering for the time being. Bill put in a riser on the column, so it should not crowd the cutter or quill because it is an extra 4 inches taller already. Any suggestions? Also want the dividing plates and that accy to go with the rotary so I can do round and arc shapes too.

Been mining on Ebay this morning gathering tools and stuff for the mill to arrive. Still cant decide whether to go 6 or 8 on the rotary table, but everything else should start arriving soon and by the time the mill gets here from CT I should be tooled up and ready to get busy making scrap metal. I found a really nice ER32 set, and bought the pneumatic vice that was relisted, and got a hold down kit so I just have to decide which rotary table and I should be done gathering for the time being. Bill put in a riser on the column, so it should not crowd the cutter or quill because it is an extra 4 inches taller already. Any suggestions? Also want the dividing plates and that accy to go with the rotary so I can do round and arc shapes too.

WoW! You've been busy!

Define what cluttered is! ?? (referring to your sig) Hope you have some space! LoL!

Hey, Bob. Don't buy a rotary table yet. I know someone that has a 6 inch for sale here in CT. Send me a PM and I'll give you his phone #. I don't know anything about it except he offered it to me a few days ago.

WoW! You've been busy!

Define what cluttered is! ?? (referring to your sig) Hope you have some space! LoL!
I moved an entire off site truck repair shop into my home 20X20 shop building on my way to Iraq. I got sick in Iraq and have been 4 years getting to see the floor of the shop again finally. I gave all of my Mechanics tools to a young fellow I know who is struggling to make a living without paying the tool trucks too. So I gave him about 75 grand worth of tools, boxes, carts, advanced diagnostics, scopes and test gear to get started out. I figgered I was never going to use them again and no sense them sitting here rusting when he really needed a hand, so I just fixed it so he can get ahead. It's a good Karma thing, because as soon as I made the move to do that Bill found me a cherry Clausing mill and did a rebuild on it too. so what goes around comes around sooner than you think. But I will never ever let my shop get away from me like that again either....

Bob

Been mining on Ebay this morning gathering tools and stuff for the mill to arrive. Still cant decide whether to go 6 or 8 on the rotary table, but everthing else should start arriving soon and by the time the mill gets here from CT I shoul be tooled up and ready to get busy making scrap metal. I found a really nice ER32 set, and bought the pneumatic vice that was relisted, and got a hold down kit so I just have to decide which rotary table and I chould be done gathering for the time being. Bill put in a riser on the column, so it should not crowd the cutter or quill because it is an extra 4 inches taller already. Any suggestions? Also want the dividing plates and that accy to go with the rotary so I can do round and arc shapes too.

The bigger rotary table will weight more then the smaller one. If you have a transfer table to move the rotary table on and off the milling machine then go with the bigger one.

The bigger rotary table will weight more then the smaller one. If you have a transfer table to move the rotary table on and off the milling machine then go with the bigger one.

I agree.

You can do small work on a big rotab but you can't do big work on a small rotab.

I've had 8", 10", 11" and 12" rotabs and find that only the 12" was difficult to handle.

Senna,
Thanks for the ideas. I have a pushcart that I will be storing the heavier items on so I can move them around the shop safely. It has 2 drawers so I can put the ER32 set in one drawer and do a full drawer of the different tooling I have been accumulating. I am also planning to build a shadow board for hanging the rest of my tooling in plain sight so I can tell at a glance where everything is. I really think an 8 inch table would be about the optimim for a 2/3 size clone. I am afraid that even though it has an added spacer it would start crowding the quill if I go much larger. Bill put in a new Quill and upgraded the motor to 1 1/2 HP so I expect it to be a monster once it arrives and I get the enclosure built. I figured I could go ahead and start ordering the tooling and accessories I want now so that they will all be here and ready to use once the mill arrives from CT.. Then I can immediately turn perfectly good metal into scrap with no waiting. Now I just need to concentrate on making this one final decision and start working on getting some quality roughing mills for hogging out the initial shapes and lay outs. Hope you have a great day and an even better weekend ahead. It's Saturday in the shop if I feel up to venturing out this morning. Still a little tired from the hospital last week, but I am back on the mend so I should be much better again soon.

Bobber

I moved an entire off site truck repair shop into my home 20X20 shop building on my way to Iraq. I got sick in Iraq and have been 4 years getting to see the floor of the shop again finally. I gave all of my Mechanics tools to a young fellow I know who is struggling to make a living without paying the tool trucks too. So I gave him about 75 grand worth of tools, boxes, carts, advanced diagnostics, scopes and test gear to get started out. I figgered I was never going to use them again and no sense them sitting here rusting when he really needed a hand, so I just fixed it so he can get ahead. It's a good Karma thing, because as soon as I made the move to do that Bill found me a cherry Clausing mill and did a rebuild on it too. so what goes around comes around sooner than you think. But I will never ever let my shop get away from me like that again either....

Bob

Bob, you are a special person. Not many folks would be so giving. Hopefully the young man that you assisted realizes what a boost you gave him, and is able to do something similar for someone else someday.

As for the rotab, I have also been on the fence as to what size to go with on the Clausing 8520. I like the idea of the 8", but don't want to overdo it. A 6" table would most likely be too limiting so I am leaning in the direction of an 8". Let us know what you end up with and what you think.

Wermie,
I'm thinkin since bill added the riser in to the column I am going to go to the 8 inch. There should not be any issue with crowding the quil or the head since he installed the riser block at the same time as the new quil and motor upgrade. 1.5 HP should pull up to a 3/4 endmill with no issues at all and a fairly good size face or shell mill too.. I found a 8" on Ebay for 249 plus freight, but I am trying to get rid of some of the exces freight costs before I pull the trigger... You know I am so cheap you can see the buffalo on my nickel through my pants pockets so I will let you know how low I can get it.

Bob

Wermie,
I'm thinkin since bill added the riser in to the column I am going to go to the 8 inch. There should not be any issue with crowding the quil or the head since he installed the riser block at the same time as the new quil and motor upgrade. 1.5 HP should pull up to a 3/4 endmill with no issues at all and a fairly good size face or shell mill too.. I found a 8" on Ebay for 249 plus freight, but I am trying to get rid of some of the exces freight costs before I pull the trigger... You know I am so cheap you can see the buffalo on my nickel through my pants pockets so I will let you know how low I can get it.

Bob

In other words, if you and I were to go out for coffee, I'd have to buy?? :roflmao:

Actually, Bill is graciously making up a 5" riser for mine also, so I am probably going to go with the biggun too.

Back