OK, I'm broke again....

I chickened out on the price difference. I went with the 6 inch for a 100 bucks less money so I can afford the dividing plates too. It was hard, but I think a 6 inch will still be quite acceptable and it stretches my tooling dollars a little further. My poor Paypal account is reeling. Never knew what hit it till it was too late. But I'm about done tooling up so my debit card can come off of overheated for at least a day or two... Looks like Bill hit a honey hole full of machines, I'm really glad he has a connection like that it saved me a ton of cash already..

Bob

Bob giving your tools to that young guy to help start out is great, i am still wrenching after 27 years i wish someone would have helped me out like that when i started :drink: just thinking i hope something good happens to you for doing that.

Wholesale tools and Grizzly have the same kit for abt same $. $300 WT, $330 grizzly. 6" table, tailstock, dividing plate set, and even some hold downs. That's the route I'm going. That, and I found an old 12" cheap. That happens a lot too. Watch your fleabay. I'm hoping that does what I need, it's all I could afford.

Watch for a Grizzly discount code. They usually have an ad in outdoor types of magazines like Bow Hunter or field and stream. If you could get it down to free freight that would be a pretty decent savings. Shipping on RT's is not cheap. I think I ended up paying 29 bucks in freight to get my 6 inch here from Illinois. Delivery was fast and arrived 2 days before it was scheduled and came packed in a very nice form fitting Styrofoam cradle inside a very sturdy box wirh strapping in both directions. I am pretty happy with my outcome and ended up spending a total of 228.00 freight and all through Toolprecision on Ebay.

Bob

Due to the Springfield store I would have to pay the 7% sales tax as well as the $30 higher price. I would have to save quite a bit with Grizzly to make up the difference. If I could do that I would prefer to go with them. I doubt I can make that happen though.

If that was just the table and you need a divider set for the table LMS has one on closeout for 60 or $70.

The dividing plate set was 65.00 delivered which was why I chose to go with the 6 inch over the 8 inch. For what I have invested I could only get the 8 inch and no accy. The 6 inch and a set or dividing plates was almost exactly the same price as an 8 inch without dividing plates. So from a purely economic point of view I chose to go that way to stretch my tool and accy dollars as much as I could. The difference in diameter is not significant enough to cause much concern for me at this point in my education. Now if I could just find a similar good deal on as large of a milling vice as I can find I will be all set tool wise for at least another day. Decent quality milling vices are also very expensive to ship and I may end up going to a larger city nearby like Jax or Orlando to get one and save the freight. Only problem with that is I will have to drive my old truck and it only gets 19 miles to the gallon, so I can spend a bunch on gas pretty quick too. Ah well, it just makes shopping for tools and accessories more interesting is all.

Bob

Same reason I think real hard abt driving to Springfield, right down to the same mpg. happy hunting

I moved an entire off site truck repair shop into my home 20X20 shop building on my way to Iraq. I got sick in Iraq and have been 4 years getting to see the floor of the shop again finally. I gave all of my Mechanics tools to a young fellow I know who is struggling to make a living without paying the tool trucks too. So I gave him about 75 grand worth of tools, boxes, carts, advanced diagnostics, scopes and test gear to get started out. I figgered I was never going to use them again and no sense them sitting here rusting when he really needed a hand, so I just fixed it so he can get ahead. It's a good Karma thing, because as soon as I made the move to do that Bill found me a cherry Clausing mill and did a rebuild on it too. so what goes around comes around sooner than you think. But I will never ever let my shop get away from me like that again either....

Bob

That is a rare thing you did there. I/we give away all manner of items and even cash to those we see in need. I know I have given up thousands in resale over the years and I am in no way 'well off' but we no longer struggle to meet ends and it is a much better feeling to have then a few more dollars in my pockets. Karma is cool too! there are tons of tools and supplies I could have used the proceeds for but I know how hard it is to get by and I honestly do not know how young tradesman starting out do it these days with the cost of everything.

Back