Ok, so it's just a REAL little thing on my PM-1228 lathe...

Tired&Retired

Registered
Registered
When I got my PM-1228 last year, I noticed right off the bat that it was missing the model number and specs label on the front of the lathe. I contacted Matt about it, and he said he would order one for me and he should have it in a few months with the next shipment. Well a year later, Matt says he can't get one from the manufacturer. He seemed to be having some difficulties with that manufacturer, so I am not sure what is going on about getting a label that was missing. So it appears I am just SOL. Yeah, a little thing, but darn it, I just feel slighted somehow. I asked Matt about what was going to be on newer shipments coming in, and whether a label from them would be available, and I did not receive any response. I guess he just got tired of talking to me about such a minor thing.

So this got me wondering, how many other people who have gotten a 1228 within the past year and a half are missing that label too? I know, it doesn't make the lathe any less of a machine, but I find myself pretty particular about such details. Heck, anyone concerned with something being 0.001" out of tolerance is likely going to have this trait, right? And I guess I am pretty curious as to just why exactly that label has been excluded from my machine, and possibly others? I sure hate to have to take a magic marker and write the model number on the thing so when I get older and can't remember what it is, I will have that number right there to remind me. :)

Don't get me wrong, I do like the lathe and wouldn't return it even if I could. But would I have purchased it had I known that label would be missing? Well, I can't really answer that one. After that run-in I had with a cheap China-Bay lathe, I am sure I would be hesitant.

Attachments

• PM-1228_no ID label.jpg
    PM-1228_no ID label.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 215
When I got my PM-1228 last year, I noticed right off the bat that it was missing the model number and specs label on the front of the lathe. I contacted Matt about it, and he said he would order one for me and he should have it in a few months with the next shipment. Well a year later, Matt says he can't get one from the manufacturer. He seemed to be having some difficulties with that manufacturer, so I am not sure what is going on about getting a label that was missing. So it appears I am just SOL. Yeah, a little thing, but darn it, I just feel slighted somehow. I asked Matt about what was going to be on newer shipments coming in, and whether a label from them would be available, and I did not receive any response. I guess he just got tired of talking to me about such a minor thing.

So this got me wondering, how many other people who have gotten a 1228 within the past year and a half are missing that label too? I know, it doesn't make the lathe any less of a machine, but I find myself pretty particular about such details. Heck, anyone concerned with something being 0.001" out of tolerance is likely going to have this trait, right? And I guess I am pretty curious as to just why exactly that label has been excluded from my machine, and possibly others? I sure hate to have to take a magic marker and write the model number on the thing so when I get older and can't remember what it is, I will have that number right there to remind me. :)

Don't get me wrong, I do like the lathe and wouldn't return it even if I could. But would I have purchased it had I known that label would be missing? Well, I can't really answer that one. After that run-in I had with a cheap China-Bay lathe, I am sure I would be hesitant.
I didn’t receive one on mine delivered in October either. Not a big deal. Hadn’t even realized it til reading this. Oh well It’s in the manual. I do wish the machine had come with an actual manual and not just online. I had FedEx make me a cool bound one with thick coated paper which is very helpful.

I think it looks better without it, actually :)
Gives the machine character, different from the rest
-M

Wow! That does not sound like Matt. Maybe he was just traveling or involved with other things. He seems to do a lot of that. He has always seemed very helpful for me and others.

Does it have the other labels and a serial number? Not having a serial number is almost worst than not having the rest of the label. I went to the website and looked at the add. It does not appear to say where the lathe in made. If made in China, missing things or bad specs is not uncommon. Anyway, I agree with you when missing something like the front panel label you wonder what else might be wrong! Check things out really well, especially the mechanics. I have the China PM940M CNC VS mill and have found several things that are just not made very well! Others say theirs is ok. So inconsistency or quality control is an issue from China.

Dave

It's been a little hectic for a couple years now for international trade. Maybe you could have one made with an extra model designation- Covid Edition -

I didn’t receive one on mine delivered in October either. Not a big deal. Hadn’t even realized it til reading this. Oh well It’s in the manual. I do wish the machine had come with an actual manual and not just online. I had FedEx make me a cool bound one with thick coated paper which is very helpful.
Did you get the motor (2 HP (1500 W) brushless dc) as listed in the manual, or did you get the 1100 watt version like I did?

Attachments

• PM-1228_motor_01.jpg
    PM-1228_motor_01.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 171
Back