Ok, so it's just a REAL little thing on my PM-1228 lathe...

Regarding the 120 number, All good conversation or questions, was just stating the number as I just searched it to see if I missed something. Nothing against him there

And yet you felt it important enough to bring up here. How many of those emails were to ask you about flaws, deficiencies and just general other things that only you could answer? How many were just so I could fix that problem with the spindle taper being off, and NONE of my chucks fitting properly, such that I needed to either fix it or replace the spindle? Should I have just assumed that I was on my own with that and not bothered you about it? So tell me, exactly what is that number of messages beyond which you feel you are being overly burdened with conversations with a customer? I will try real hard not to exceed that number in 2022.

I asked you for a price for the 2 hp replacement motor so I could just buy it outright. Your reply was that I was wasting my money doing that. That I would not gain anything from the other motor. Was that a refusal to sell one to me? Of course, that begs the question of why did you go back to providing the 2 hp motor in this lathe if the 1.4 hp motor would suffice?

Is it being unreasonable of me to want the actual motor in the lathe to match what the designers felt was appropriate for this lathe and what is stated in the manual as being IN the lathe?

So my only choices are to either send back the machine or just be satisfied with that 1.4 hp motor? Well I guess that does make me seem unreasonable, doesn't it.

It may be that it is not only the a motor change that is involved, typically it would be matched to the driver/control board/wiring and overload settings on a DC motor. The motor actually draws ~1.6kW, but there there is also the efficiency.

that would bother me. You should have a label with model and serial #. The serial # should tell them what to pull parts from.
Also the motor would definitely **** me off. 2hp is 2hp.. less means $$$ back.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, the serial number for the machine (I assume that is what that number is) is on the back corner of the way surface. But no, there is not even a hint of the model number anywhere on that machine. Which is fine for me knowing what model I have, but these lathes can float around for a long time, even after the original owner has passed on, and anyone getting it would not have any clue whatsoever as to what the actual model number is. Heck, for that matter, my memory could fade to the point where I can't remember what it is neither, and SOMETHING on the machine itself could be helpful. :)

And heck, having the specs right there was kind of a handy thing too, I thought. So why remove it? Just a coincidence, I presume, that the label delete matched up in time when the PM-1228 started coming in with the 1.4 horsepower motors in them and it would have been awkward having that label show 2 hp, when it actually was not? Just guessing, of course. The pictures all showed the label there when I purchased it, and to this very moment all the pictures on PM's site STILL show that label as being there. So am I just being unreasonable? I DID say this is just a little thing, but heck, it seems to be growing by the minute now lately.

Oh well, in for a pinch, in for a pound now, I suppose.

Last edited:
It may be that it is not only the a motor change that is involved, typically it would be matched to the driver/control board/wiring and overload settings on a DC motor. The motor actually draws ~1.6kW, but there there is also the efficiency.

Interesting. Of course, I can't tell from the manual if that would be the case or not. And I dare not email Matt about it. I don't want to exceed my quota of emails. :)

That thought causes we wonder if I have a motor failure under warranty, what would I get for a replacement?

2hp is 2hp..
....well that depends on where you buy your motor! ;^)

We also ordered our PM-1236 in with a 1.5HP Motor, and it was saving us enough to do a free upgrade to a Baldor motor at that time too.

I am sure a 1.5HP Baldor would beat and outlive most "2HP" motors (heavy emphasis on those quote marks!).

Brian

....well that depends on where you buy your motor! ;^)

I am sure a 1.5HP Baldor would beat and outlive most "2HP" motors (heavy emphasis on those quote marks!).

Brian

Valid point. But if you would suspect that the "2 HP" Chinese motor is overly optimistic concerning the actual output then wouldn't the same rules apply for the "1.4 HP" Chinese motor?

My Jet BDB1340A at work has 1.5 hp motor while I have the same lathe (a clone) from another place with a 2 hp 3 phase. I would call the 1.5 china motor a 1.5 pony power not horse power. Not even close on how much of a cut it can take while my 2 hp walks all over it.
Pierre

As I said earlier in an email, if you were having problems with the machine not having enough power to cut, please contact us at tech support and send details. I have not heard a bit about that though. It seems it is only worrying about what is says on the label, nothing more. I just do not want to see you waste your money on a new motor with zero benefit. But its your money, you can do what you want, just no need to waste it. You ask why we went to the 1.5HP, it was to qualify for the tariff exemption. You asked why we went back to 2HP, well see above thread, this is exactly why. So many get stuck on a HP label when comparing models. If you want a motor we will order you one, but its a waste of money.

Back