old stevens favorite

Nice looking action!

Is that a Weaver B4 scope? If it is should be turned a 1/4 turn to the left, mine has the L/R adjuster on the left side of the tube and the U/D on the top.

that old scope has jc higgins on the top been told it was made by weaver only 2X though qute on the old gun

The 1894 Stevens Favorite is a very weak action and should not shot with any thing other then standard velocity 22's it was made a time whene all they had was black powder 22's. the 1894's are know to shoot lose if shot with high velocity 22's. Ken

with no doubt they are not the strongest action and any freepay between the action block and the rear boss makes it a real weak action. befor i finished the
action i did case harden the rear boss area of the action to ensure a long lasting repair. the welding on the back of the block was estimate of .015- .020 to make up for worn casting .

The real problem is that the lever and breech block screws and the povit pins are too small. when Stevens come out with the 1915 they made them all a little bigger this was a time that they where starting to see smokeless 22's . as for welding up the back of the breech block that would help but not the way the action was made they where cheap guns and made to be put together with little or no hand fitting even the lager 44 action witch is just a big 1894 dosent lock up on the breech block and the frame. trying make the 44 stronger that added a spur too the hammer. ken

I am not trying to say that what you have done is unsafe just that it may shoot lose. I have seen one 1984 made up in 256 Winchester. Now that is very unsafe. if you made your screws out of 8620 or 41?? and heat treated then that would help from shooting lose. by the way nice work Ken

done some range time fig i share a few 17 mach 2 targets quarter s are at 100 and dine at 50

!cid_15.jpg !cid_990.jpg !cid_594.jpg !cid_15.jpg !cid_990.jpg !cid_594.jpg !cid_15.jpg !cid_990.jpg !cid_594.jpg !cid_15.jpg !cid_990.jpg !cid_594.jpg !cid_15.jpg !cid_990.jpg !cid_594.jpg !cid_15.jpg !cid_990.jpg !cid_594.jpg

Back