One big booger

DeadGuyAle

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Picked up a Bambu labs P1S over the holidays. Been impressed with it and have had very few print failures so far.
The last one was a mess though that took out the whole nozzle assembly. Thinking the first layer of filament detached from the bed and it was all downhill from there.
Lots to learn yet and need to keep better tabs on things when printing something for the first time :oops:
Not the most functional R8 collet tray by any means :grin:
IMG_7651.jpeg

Last edited:
Now do you need a new print head?
If that happens to our Ultimakers at work it is an automatic toolhead swap.
Been there done that a few times. That is the main reason why I want to get my webcam operational on my Voron.

Yep, new print head and ceramic heater, blob completely envelopes everything.
P1S does have a webcam, will be using it more now!
IMG_7668.jpeg

While I have not had a blob that bad I have cleaned up some big messes.
Used a saw to get rid of what it could. then used heat and picks to remove the rest. Worked fine after. The time spent would not be feasible in a production environment, most hobbyists have more time than money to justify the cleanup.

Reminds me of work when the operators walked away from the lines with the extruders running . 5 extruders over a 48 hr period running while not blowing can create quite a mess , like 1000s of lbs of Poly on the floor . When it gets up to the dies and heaters , it catches fire . We had 4 major fires over 5 years that did Big damage .

I had a similar but larger blob on my Bambu A1 last week. A combination of nozzle heating (via maintenance mode on the printer controls) and mini hot air gun (hot air rework station for electronics) got it all cleaned up. I got it back together and it's working fine. BTW, the insulation on the heater wires is Teflon, so can stand quite a bit of heat when you melt the plastic.
The A1 is a bit more modular - the nozzles are separate from the heating element. But I wouldn't give up without trying to clean that one up. You don't have anything to lose if the new part is on the way, anyhow.
BTW, no idea what caused the problem - I ran the same print job again with the same filament and it printed fine. I trimmed the silicone sock so that the bottom opening is a bit larger, so there's less tendency for molten plastic to build up inside the sock.

Heat the nozzle and you can get most of it off without too much hassle. Hot air guns can help a lot. It might be usable. I do keep a spare though, with electronics. The whole setup is about $30.

For prevention, make sure to keep the plate clean. And watch the first layer to make sure it sticks. Sadly, even Bambus don't wash the plate for you. :)

Heat the nozzle and you can get most of it off without too much hassle. Hot air guns can help a lot. It might be usable. I do keep a spare though, with electronics. The whole setup is about $30.

For prevention, make sure to keep the plate clean. And watch the first layer to make sure it sticks. Sadly, even Bambus don't wash the plate for you. :)
Would not hurt to give the plate a good cleaning. The collet holder was a vertical print so not much of a contact patch with the plate.
New parts are on the way, $22 for the head and heater.
I have something like this hot air station. Excellent for working with heat shrink, also.
https://www.amazon.com/YIHUA-959D-Digital-Efficiency-212°F-932°F-Iron-burn/dp/B08BK3M6YW/

View attachment 476863
That's a nice setup, have two full size heat guns that I use regularly but I can see where the smaller footprint would come in handy.

Have some time, so based on the encouragement to salvage will see what I can do with it. Not like there is much to lose and it will be a week before the parts get here anyway.

Would not hurt to give the plate a good cleaning.
Despite all the instructions saying that it's not needed for PLA, I've been using glue stick on the bed most of the time. Bed gets cleaned with dishwashing soap and hot water occasionally. I also add a 'brim' if the print seems tall.
But sometimes, it seems there is no logic to success or failure.... a bit of a black art? :)

Back