One big booger

I have just simply started putting a 10mm skirt on every thing, even a low flat part. I find that it also helps to hold the corners down so the part does not warp as much during cooling. Cooling on the bed also helps to reduce warping.

Despite all the instructions saying that it's not needed for PLA, I've been using glue stick on the bed most of the time. Bed gets cleaned with dishwashing soap and hot water occasionally. I also add a 'brim' if the print seems tall.
But sometimes, it seems there is no logic to success or failure.... a bit of a black art? :)

I have just simply started putting a 10mm skirt on every thing, even a low flat part. I find that it also helps to hold the corners down so the part does not warp as much during cooling. Cooling on the bed also helps to reduce warping.
So new to the 3D printing world that I have only have a vague understanding of how to go about modifying an existing file. That knowledge will come with time, retirement is just around the corner and I plan to spend some quality time on this subject!

So new to the 3D printing world that I have only have a vague understanding of how to go about modifying an existing file. That knowledge will come with time, retirement is just around the corner and I plan to spend some quality time on this subject!
Adding a brim can be done in Bambu Studio when you are getting ready to slice the file - the .stl file (if you are using a .stl file) isn't changed. Picking a simple file to print so it doesn't waste a lot of filament-and time- and then playing with some settings has been useful for me. Also, using the resize tool in Studio lets me reduce the amount of filament before printing the full object. You can reduce the LxW and keep the thickness , for instance.
brim.JPG

Large flat parts can irritatingly be quite prone to warping. There are a bunch of tips, skirts and brims help. Preventing air currents helps, the plastic wants to shrink as it cools. Not much, but enough to pop it loose sometimes. This is somewhat complicated, as the heat from the bed in an enclosed printer can cause heat creep, which expands PLA filament as it comes into the extruder and blocks it up. It's a bit of a balancing act. Turning up the bed temp can help, but too much is also bad. I also like to disable the part fan for the first few layers.

For Bambu users...

If you have an aux fan, I know the X series do, not sure about P. Turn it down/off in the filament profile. You can also turn down the chamber fan, but you have to modify the gcode in the filament profile. I like having it ramp up with layers, so it's low at the start, but gets going later. I don't go above about 80% usually. It keeps the worst of the noise from the fan down while still venting to help keep internal temp reasonable.

Cool plate, I'm not sure what it is, but it seems a bit like buildtak. It's not bad, and a bit underrated. Keep in mind that the glue is more about releasing the part at the end. Oddly, it does help a little with sticking down as well. lol. One upside to the cool plate is that you can run fully enclosed without worrying about heat creep. Try using the minimum amount of glue. Give it a wash every once in a while.

High temp plate is smooth PEI. A nice surface. I use it on some of my other machines, Bambu's seems pretty standard. Nice to have around when you want a smooth bottom surface and the cool plate doesn't work for the filament etc.. PLA will let go with low force. PETG can become near welded if you aren't careful. Using a small amount of glue helps a lot with PETG.

Textured PEI plate. Probably my favorite, it's stupidly versatile, and I usually like the texture. It can throw off dimensions a little, so if you need high accuracy it might not be the best option. In practice, designs usually have more than enough clearance to absorb it. PLA will let go a little easy if you don't keep it clean. Dish soap and water, NOT alcohol. The claim out there is that the alcohol dissolves the oils and deposits some of them in the valleys on the plate, while the soap breaks it up and washes it out. No idea how true that is, but the advice works. PLA will hold once you get it right, until it cools. Then the PLA almost always self-releases. PETG works great on it, almost too well unless you have warp prone parts. A small amount of glue stick can help, but you can usually control it by turning down the plate temp a little, and the extrusion temp for the first layer. Though I will say when you get the PETG temps just right, it's stupidly satisfying to peel a large print off.

Reading that, maybe I should print less for a bit.... nawww... :)

Got everything together, washed the bed plate, did a filament reload and the printer back online!

Large flat parts can irritatingly be quite prone to warping. There are a bunch of tips, skirts and brims help. Preventing air currents helps, the plastic wants to shrink as it cools. Not much, but enough to pop it loose sometimes. This is somewhat complicated, as the heat from the bed in an enclosed printer can cause heat creep, which expands PLA filament as it comes into the extruder and blocks it up. It's a bit of a balancing act. Turning up the bed temp can help, but too much is also bad. I also like to disable the part fan for the first few layers.

For Bambu users...

If you have an aux fan, I know the X series do, not sure about P. Turn it down/off in the filament profile. You can also turn down the chamber fan, but you have to modify the gcode in the filament profile. I like having it ramp up with layers, so it's low at the start, but gets going later. I don't go above about 80% usually. It keeps the worst of the noise from the fan down while still venting to help keep internal temp reasonable.

Cool plate, I'm not sure what it is, but it seems a bit like buildtak. It's not bad, and a bit underrated. Keep in mind that the glue is more about releasing the part at the end. Oddly, it does help a little with sticking down as well. lol. One upside to the cool plate is that you can run fully enclosed without worrying about heat creep. Try using the minimum amount of glue. Give it a wash every once in a while.

High temp plate is smooth PEI. A nice surface. I use it on some of my other machines, Bambu's seems pretty standard. Nice to have around when you want a smooth bottom surface and the cool plate doesn't work for the filament etc.. PLA will let go with low force. PETG can become near welded if you aren't careful. Using a small amount of glue helps a lot with PETG.

Textured PEI plate. Probably my favorite, it's stupidly versatile, and I usually like the texture. It can throw off dimensions a little, so if you need high accuracy it might not be the best option. In practice, designs usually have more than enough clearance to absorb it. PLA will let go a little easy if you don't keep it clean. Dish soap and water, NOT alcohol. The claim out there is that the alcohol dissolves the oils and deposits some of them in the valleys on the plate, while the soap breaks it up and washes it out. No idea how true that is, but the advice works. PLA will hold once you get it right, until it cools. Then the PLA almost always self-releases. PETG works great on it, almost too well unless you have warp prone parts. A small amount of glue stick can help, but you can usually control it by turning down the plate temp a little, and the extrusion temp for the first layer. Though I will say when you get the PETG temps just right, it's stupidly satisfying to peel a large print off.

Reading that, maybe I should print less for a bit.... nawww... :)
Great information and will take a bit to digest all of it.
3D technology is a whole new world for me, printed maybe 30 objects with PLA using the textured plate, have much to learn.

Will have more time to spend in the 3D printing world soon, retirement is only a couple weeks away so I'll be in this forum on a regular basis!

Back