One-Shot Lube Leak

Would be a great time now, while you are in there that far, to do some house cleaning etc.

Tjb, I imagine that you have already dissembled your mill and have a repair completed. If you have not, you may be able to save your self some trouble by splicing the line as recommended by mmcmdl and outlined in the below diagram. I worked in a lab for a while and we did this routinely to repair or extend tubing. All you need is a short segment of tubing(such as Tygon) with on ID equal or slightly smaller than the OD of the line to be patched, cut the damaged line, dry it, dab on some xylene(Xylol) to dissolve the surface of the tubing and slip on the outer, splicing tube. Good luck with your repair, Mike

E4234C05-89D3-4F9D-9B28-B1188D62662F.jpeg

That's what I meant TN . You don't need to splice at the nick in the line . Put in 2 splices at easy to reach places , we do it daily on air , hydraulic lines . ;) Heck of alot easier than tearing a machine apart .

That's a great idea and one which I would love to do. But the break is just far enough under the table to make it nearly impossible to reach. It's a challenge to even grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers, much less work a splice into it. I'll almost certainly try it first anyway, but I suspect the likelihood is it won't work.

Does ANYBODY have any experience with removing a mill's table? I've never done it, and the last thing I need to do is turn this leak into a really major crash.

Regards,
Terry
When you're done, stop by, I'll buy you a cup of coffee or a beer and we can do mine. :grin:
I've held off removing my table, for two reasons, first being - the JackA$$ that borrowed my 1500lb sawhorses never returned them. (I hear through the grapevine that he relocated to your neck of the woods - GA)
Second is - I want to have some assistance around when I try and I just haven't tried to line that up.
Seems a bit daunting and most importantly, I really need to get the shop straightened up before trying to do it.
Keep us posted - pls.

That's what I meant TN . You don't need to splice at the nick in the line . Put in 2 splices at easy to reach places , we do it daily on air , hydraulic lines . ;) Heck of alot easier than tearing a machine apart .
Who you calling 'TN'? ... :cool:

Tjb, I imagine that you have already dissembled your mill and have a repair completed. If you have not, you may be able to save your self some trouble by splicing the line as recommended by mmcmdl and outlined in the below diagram. I worked in a lab for a while and we did this routinely to repair or extend tubing. All you need is a short segment of tubing(such as Tygon) with on ID equal or slightly smaller than the OD of the line to be patched, cut the damaged line, dry it, dab on some xylene(Xylol) to dissolve the surface of the tubing and slip on the outer, splicing tube. Good luck with your repair, Mike

View attachment 313173
Yes, this sounds much easier. My biggest challenge is the break in the line is just inside the accessible area. I'm hoping I can grab it in some way just far enough out to splice it without any major surgery, but I suspect I may need to at least take the end cap off just to reach it. Thanks for this info. This will definitely rise to the position of 'Plan A'.

Regards,
Terry

Yes, I understood. But the challenge is no 'easy to reach place' at or above the nick. I will definitely try the splice fix before tearing the machine apart. Hopefully, the worst case scenario will be nothing more than removing the end cap to give me a little room to work.

Regards,
Terry

Have a look at David's mill overclocking project. He did some lube line work. He has other picture/video links too showing disassembly innards, hopefully its linked in there.

Back