Online and Speedy Metals

I buy from a number of companies; DiscountSteel.com,( Minneapolis), is very far priced.My choice for a lot of the time for Alum. is Stoner Aluminum and Brass: Fast and fair on cost of material and shipping. I do buy from Speedy but find the shipping charges fairly high to some other companies for the same item and possibly a greater shipping distance. My 2 cents worth. PS use to live in Minneapolis so it's nice to see some of my old stand-bys being mentioned.
I have trouble with Speedy, not only high price, but very high shipping too.

Of the 3 major onLine metal vendors (Online, Speedy, Metals Despot) I have used, I find that the prices on one class of materials (Steel, Aluminum, ...) varry all over the map, and often I have to order one class from vendor A and another from vendor B.

But what drives me up the wall is that you have to get to the point of pushing "confirm order" before you know what the actual costs are.

Now, I buy most of what I want from a local metal warehouse. The after sales tax ends up rather similar to the after shipping costs.

I buy from a number of companies; DiscountSteel.com,( Minneapolis), is very far priced.My choice for a lot of the time for Alum. is Stoner Aluminum and Brass: Fast and fair on cost of material and shipping. I do buy from Speedy but find the shipping charges fairly high to some other companies for the same item and possibly a greater shipping distance. My 2 cents worth. PS use to live in Minneapolis so it's nice to see some of my old stand-bys being mentioned.

I used to buy from Discount Steel, but then I waited over 4 weeks for an order once and finally called them since they weren't responding to emails. They said they hadn't even processed it, and didn't know when they would. When I said to cancel it they seemed to not care. Now that may have been one employee, but I can't risk that when I need a piece of metal for a job. I might buy from them again someday, but they are pretty far down on my list.

What do you mean slit material?

This is a slitter. Its used to make narrower material from a coil.

Slitting_650x650.jpg

The problem is the edges are not flat - especially when you get into heavier material.
This is the 1/4" x 5" x 13" long 304 SS I ordered. You can tell it is slit by the shiny edges and the breakage on the edge similar to a sheared piece.
Now I check to make sure they are selling bar stock and not slit material. For me slit material is just scrap.

flat.jpg

flat2.jpg

I like Online Metals because they send me discount coupons. If you can wait for the right coupon it can give a good discount. My experience with Speed Metals is unimpressive. But, this is like all products, you have shop around if you want the cheapest price at the time. I feel my time is worth something and the Online Metals coupons fills this bill. I too love the "to your door delivery". Running around wasting time and gasoline is not for me while being at the mercy of the hours of a local supplier.

I like this discussion, The main supplier here in SA is Westbrook Metals. I and they are expensive. I am looking for suppliers as I want to get some stuff to do some projects.

I just bought some O1 3/8 flat bar and various drill rods, shopped around and went back with McMaster Carr. The shipping is reasonable, I average around $7 in shipping per box. I always get it the next day too if I order before 3pm or so. My last two steel orders have been McMaster. Online Metals is priced higher than most from what I've checked. I keep looking at other vendors, but they are priced higher and the shipping takes longer.

I purchase a specific material from SpeedyMetals, If you don't know, this will save you money. They automatically add a "processing fee" to orders if above certain criteria. I called and asked, the lady I spoke to is the only one who deals with online orders, she stated, just put a note in the comments to kindly waive the processing fee, and she will do it. She stated it had something to do with the way their system was set to automatically add that extra charge. I as well thought shipping was a bit high, but thru experimentation I found I can ship nearly twice as many parts as I originally ordered for the same money.. I am buying 5 inch OD 3/8 wall aluminum tube... Have bought 150 pcs so far, will need nearly 200 pcs this year at least.. I hope..

Speedy Metals has 18% off this week for anything in stock! My problem is, I'm broke! Spent all of my money on Christmas.:cry:

Back