Oops Tool

I have an old Black & Decker like that. 1/2hp, 400rpm, no speed control. Pull the trigger and something *will* turn: the bit, the workpiece, you and the drill...
I got one of those too, it has a 5/8" chuck I use to use it to mix concrete.

Atunguyrd - When a hole saw is used in a hand-held drill, it's almost inevitable that one tooth will break through before the others. Holding things dead perpendicular to the work piece is difficult. After the first break-through, a saw tooth can then catch on the edge of the cut. When it does, it will immediately stop the hole saw from turning, and all the motor's torque will be translated to the handles, trying to twist the drill out of your hands. The more powerful a hand drill you have, the more dangerous it can be, especially if you're blithely running at high speed and not anticipating the break-through. And of course, the larger the hole saw is, the more leverage it has! Been there, done that.
Do you happen to have a magnetic based drill. They usually run slower and will probably work with the hole saw.

If I can remove the piece I'm cutting, I clamp it down hard on the drill press table, with a piece of wood under it, and install the hole saw in the chuck. Then I feed slow and easy, raising it up periodically to clear the wood chips.

If you use the drill, I shift from side to side a bit while drilling, taking it easy and pulling out now and then. It grabs a lot so you have to be ready to take your finger off the trigger, and be ready for the piece to twist and twist your hand.

There is a special oil you can buy that stops hole saw from grabbin.
It cost around $15.00 4 oz. Fastanal sales it. I would not use
one with out it. Works great.

Norseman 11-AG Ultra Lube

Back