Opinions on a Lagun FTV-2S

machinistnoob

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I have a bead on the stated machine. In my inexperienced opinion, I would say it is, at least, in good condition. If not better. Comes with a 6" kurt, some collets, drill chuck, boring head and a package assortment of clamping accessories. Auto feed for x from the manufacturer and an older, but working, DRO.

I'm looking for opinions on what is a fair price for the package? I don't want to bias anyone with the asking price, but I think it sounds reasonable. Thanks in advance.

M. Noob

I'm not sure what size a FTV-2S is, but here's my 2 cents. Keep in mind I live where there's never been a manufacturing industry, and the vast majority of mills around here were purchased used from out of the area. I've lived in LA and SF Bay Area, but it's been a while.

Seems that the average Bridgeport clone will go for $2000-$8000 for something used, but not thrashed - with the occasional sky high asking price by a dreamer.

I'd pay more for the following things:
  • Larger work envelope & table
  • Speed control that doesn't involve moving the belts by hand
  • Runs on 220v single phase (or includes a VFD, phase converter, etc)
  • Power on at least the X axis
  • Power feed on the quill
  • Ability to adjust the head for tilt & nod
  • A fairly tight machine (no huge amount of backlash, drill marks in the table, etc)
  • Easy loading
  • Extras - this is why I paid "more" for my mill. It came with a full box of vintage metrology equipment, 100+ quality end mills , 100s of good drill bits, bit sharpener, small surface plate, vise, rotary table, Wilton 4" vise, 100# of aluminum, brass and other material, collets, collet holder, 2 boring heads, Albrecht R8 drill chuck, 2" face mill, and much, much more.

I like Lagun machines, and think they are among the better BPort clones. Assuming it has most of the features I listed, I'd pay maybe up to$3,500 unless there's more extras. The vise and DRO are essential, and both will set you back hundreds if you have to buy them separately.

There's somebody (sorry, don't remember his username) here who post CL/FB ads every day for machining equipment in your general area. If this one gets away, there should be more soon.

Edited for a typo

Last edited:
Be wary of machines with variable speed heads (Reeves drive type) as they can have some expensive problems
A conventional step pulley head is less risky and easier to repair, IMO
The Lagun is of the variable type, but I believe they are one of the better ones
That machine has a long table- 50" and weighs 2500 lbs- quite a beast- are you man enough? LOL

Last edited:
My Lagun FTV-2 sold for $3100 with vise , DRO and X power feed . There are pics of it on this site .

Laguns are good, stout machines. Without specific info, it should be priced in the $2k-4k range.

I'd rather use a vari-drive mill, I'd rather repair a belt-change. A vari-drive mill in good condition should give a lifetime of use in a hobby shop, they were built for daily use in production and maintenance shops.
Keep an eye on the CL/FB listings, Reno is within my search radius and a fair number of decent deals show up over there.

I'll never talk someone out of a Lagun. Their vario heads are solid. I love my FTV-3 so much that it makes me smug when I run it.

Laguns are good, stout machines. Without specific info, it should be priced in the $2k-4k range.

I'd rather use a vari-drive mill, I'd rather repair a belt-change. A vari-drive mill in good condition should give a lifetime of use in a hobby shop, they were built for daily use in production and maintenance shops.
Keep an eye on the CL/FB listings, Reno is within my search radius and a fair number of decent deals show up over there.
Thank you! Your reputation precedes you.
M. Noob

Back