Opinions on chuck size

I have been told by many women that men lie about their chuck size regularly:rofl:
e

Glad he wrote that' we all thought it. I've been told "Size don't matter" by my wife and she wouldn't...O gee!:sorry3:

Thanks for all of the opinions, gang, I really do appreciate you all taking the time to share your thought and experiences. I do have a full set of 3AT collets for this machine, and I use them when working on small stuff if the parts are not too long. I am planning to make an ER32 chuck to fit my spindle, which would allow me to use collets for long stuff too. If I do that I may not need a small 3 jaw and the 6" 3 jaw would be sufficient. I also have a 6" four jaw (maybe I already mentioned that) but I can see where an 8" might be nice once in a while.

Thanks for all of the opinions, gang, I really do appreciate you all taking the time to share your thought and experiences. I do have a full set of 3AT collets for this machine, and I use them when working on small stuff if the parts are not too long. I am planning to make an ER32 chuck to fit my spindle, which would allow me to use collets for long stuff too. If I do that I may not need a small 3 jaw and the 6" 3 jaw would be sufficient. I also have a 6" four jaw (maybe I already mentioned that) but I can see where an 8" might be nice once in a while.

I purchased my first 8" 4 jaw chuck for a special project. It's been so long I don't even remember the project. The thing is so massive I'll bet it weighs nearly 50 lbs. It's great for larger stock, but it's a lot of weight swinging around on a small spindle. A couple years later I found a used 8" 4 jaw LW chuck that weighed about 1/2 what my original one weighed. I find I use the LW more than any of the others. Mostly because of its capacity and ease of dialing it in.

On my 1922 Logan I have a 5 inch 3 jaw. Mine is strictly hobby only but I was concerned about the extra weight wallowing the back bearing (don't ask me how I know):angry:.
It also has the 5c collet closer but i never really use it.
Just my 2 cents.
Kevin

This thread started out with a question about what was the optimum size 3-jaw chuck for a specific model lathe. But has diverged a bit. One type of chuck that hasn't been mentioned can be handy if your main (or smallest or only) chuck is say 5" or 6", you don't have a full collet set, or you only have one small part to do and don't want to set up the collet closer. This is what Jacobs called a Spindle Chuck. It looks like a large drill chuck except that instead of being mounted on an arbor, it is threaded to screw onto the spindle. Handy for some small parts. Jacobs made four that I know of.

55B threaded 1"-8, holding range 1/16" to 17/32".

56B threaded 1"-10, holding range of 1/16" to 17/32".

58B threaded 1-1/2"-8, holding range of 1/8" to 5/8".

59B threaded 1-1/2"-8, holding range of 3/16" to 3/4".

I don't know what happened to the 57B. If it was 1-1/2"-8 with a 1/16" to 17/32" range, then I am looking for one.

I have the last three. As with collets, they are just inherently safer or more comfortable to work around with very small parts.

Robert D.

Thanks for the tip on the Jacobs spindle chucks, Robert. I always knew that they had been made, and I see them on eBay from time to time, but for some reason left them totally out of the picture!!! I am really glad you brought them up. One of those and a 6" three jaw should work out just about perfect!

Terry,

I forgot to mention that at least each of the four that I listed are open through with an ID of about the maximum chuck capacity.

Robert D.

Terry, Did you ever get your new 6" chuck? What are your thoughts, if you did.

I plan to buy a new 8" 3-jaw, and a new 8" 4-jaw for my Logan 10". My current chucks are also very old and worn. It's hard to imagine what a new chuck with tight tolerances will be like :biggrin:

GG

GG,

8" chucks are a bit too large for a 10" machine. You can easily run the jaws out far enough to strike the bed. Plus any decent 8" 3-jaw is going to weigh upwards of 40 pounds. You will soon get tired of hauling that weight around. Unless you only intend to work on very short parts, you can't swing much above 5" dia. anyway (not knowing what model you have, I don't know what it will swing over the cross slide but almost any 10" is going to be under 6" and probably closer to 5").

Robert D.

Back