Opinions on surface grinder from Facebook Market place.

Unix

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Found a seller of a Parker Majestic SG, seems to be a 6 x 18, told me its for $700. Looks likes is in great shape for the money.
Can used PM SGs hold tenths commonly or not? Do they have a lot of issues down the road in parts or simply not worth getting it?

I have taken some advice on which SGs brands to look out for that would commonly hold tenths, so far didn't find any from Facebook marketplace.

Thanks for thoughts and opinions.

399964843_6992630874162990_1090010807096448442_n.jpg

I would be wondering what's wrong with it for 700.00, if nothing it won't be there long. Parts, and 10th holding I do not know.

I would think any surface grinder in good condition should be able to hold to .0001”. That’s what they’re built for. Over the years I tested over a dozen different brands when I was looking for one for my shop. Everyone of them could hold to .0001 all day long. The fancier ones could hold to .00005. We had a nice DoAll 6” x 18” in the shop where I worked. I loved the machine, but the footprint was far to large for my shop.

I ended up with a Sanford MG. It’s a completely manual 6”x12” machine built in the 1950’s. That being said it can still hold .0001”. I was able to purchase it for less than the seller is asking for the Parker.

Last edited:
I had a 1968 6x18 Parker Majestic like that for a period of time. It came from a tool and die shop and hadn't seen a lot of maintenance. I had to replace the drive bands which was not a trivial exercise.
Mine had 3-phase 240v motor so getting it running in my shop was easy with a VFD,
Be very wary of an unpowered machine. Without a way to hear it running you are taking a chance on the spindle bearings being good.

Parker is a great grinder That one does not look abused. If it runs and does not sound bad I dont think you can go wrong. The mag and control are worth the asking price

I would think any surface grinder in good condition should be able to hold to .0001”. That’s what they’re built for. Over the years I tested over a dozen different brands when I was looking for one for my shop. Everyone of them could hold to .0001 all day long. The fancier ones could hold to .00005. We had a nice DoAll 6” x 18” in the shop where I worked. I loved the machine, but the footprint was far to large for my shop.

I ended up with a Sanford MG. It’s a completely manual 6”x12” machine built in the 1950’s. That being said it can still hold .0001”. I was able to purchase it for less than the seller is asking for the Parker.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting experience you have with SGs. Please tell me more.
Which brands did you tried out that would hold tenths all day long?
Also which are the "fancier" brands/models you tried that would hold to half-a-tenth?

I've seen some DoAll and Okumato SGs.

Lucky you, less than $700 for a Sanford MG SG, never heard of that brand, but you're able to hold tenths on it is great, I'll put that on my list.

Are these SGs good when bought used and repairable:
  • B&S Micromaster
  • Mitsui
  • Chevalier
  • Kent
Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Which brands did you tried out that would hold tenths all day long?
:grin: There is no such thing . You have to dress your wheels . Any of the above will hold tenths but the operator controls the machine . I take it you're just starting out in the machining journey ?

I had a 1968 6x18 Parker Majestic like that for a period of time. It came from a tool and die shop and hadn't seen a lot of maintenance. I had to replace the drive bands which was not a trivial exercise.
Mine had 3-phase 240v motor so getting it running in my shop was easy with a VFD,
Be very wary of an unpowered machine. Without a way to hear it running you are taking a chance on the spindle bearings being good.

Thanks for the reply.

What are drive bands? Was it expensive replacement? Easily found online?
I will make sure I can power it up and spin for a test.

Back