Opinions on this ?

jbalp

Registered
Registered
I saw this shopping on .well ... EBAY this looks like an easy(cheap) way to set my lathe up for 5C collets , what do you all think ??

I have that chuck from same seller on my King KC1022 (like Grizzly g602). Works great. Just need to mount the backplate, true it up and then mount the chuck. Once concentric tighten the bolts.

I have that chuck from same seller on my King KC1022 (like Grizzly g602). Works great. Just need to mount the backplate, true it up and then mount the chuck. Once concentric tighten the bolts.
ya its looks pretty simple I've got an older Jet 1336 there is a collet set up available for it buy it runs 14-1500 bucks .. as often as I would use this .
it looks like its just the ticket ..

I have the Bostar chuck for my South Bend... it works... the collet tightening mechanism is not extremely smooth, but...

It works... I won't tell you it's great, nice, or fancy, but it works. There's not really anything else to say... it just works...

I would buy another if I needed it... I mean, it does work... it does the job...

-Bear

I have one with the D1-4 back. Works well with very little run out. Hard to beat for the money.

I have one, but it's fallen into disuse since I picked up a more versatile ER-40 collet chuck. I like the ER collets better than the 'nose closing' 5C.

GsT

Only drawback to that style of collet chuck is the amount of time it takes to change collet sizes, it takes a lot of cranking; I modified the chuck wrench to have a crank handle on one of the legs, it greatly speeds things up. Mine was not Bostar, but a European brand, but looks nearly identical.

Only drawback to that style of collet chuck is the amount of time it takes to change collet sizes, it takes a lot of cranking; I modified the chuck wrench to have a crank handle on one of the legs, it greatly speeds things up. Mine was not Bostar, but a European brand, but looks nearly identical.
I watched a you tube on this Bostar chuck .. and the internals of the chuck ( at least in this video) don't appear to be of very good quality .it doesn't appear as though any of it is hardened
I think I'll keep looking. any one have any recommendations ? .. I'm just a hobby guy but I like good tools

I went through two of them. A three jaw chuck is more accurate. They make a good door stop ,but that is about all. Bison makes a good one at around 500 dollars. A draw tube and a 5 C bushing in the spindle is a much better way to go.

Back