Options for cutting stock to length

rls1160

Registered
Registered
Good morning all,

I am considering adding a some type of horizontal bandsaw machine to my shop.

This machine would be used to cut structural steel and bar stock to length. It would be used for both rough cutting and finish size cutting.

Currently I am using a combination of corded jig saw, abrasive cut-off ( which I do not like for many breasons ) hand sawing with hack saw or flame cutting.

My shop space is not large but could accomodate an older iron horizontal saw.

Material sizes would range from 6" channel, beam, tube, angle over all down to small rounds 1/2"ish.

I have seen a couple DoAll C-12 units on the net. I have a DoAll vertical contour saw and absolutely love it!.

The C-12 is on the large size, any other DoAll's or other good saws that one should consider?

What suggestions or machines do you all like and use tgat would work for my application.

Thank you,

Rick

I would consider a mitering band saw. This is where the saw swivels 45 or 55 degrees, rather than moving the stock. The nice thing about that is you can setup your stock to always have a clear path, and still get angled cuts. They are not as big as other horizontal saws usually. They can be a little more money, but in my opinion seem more desireable.

@woodchucker

Thank you for insights, any specific machine makes or modela that you feel are worth persuing?

Rick
I don't have experience, just desire. I have looked, salivated.. but no.. no experience. I've watched quite a few fabricator youtube channels who were using it before many of the machinists on youtube started. I was always in awe. If you have long stock and need to cut miters, you know the pain of swinging the stock and how the saw's vise doesn't hold well because the jaws are at an angle. With the miters the vises are square. The stock is square to the machine, but the head rotates.

I like my Ellis bandsaw. It not only is a horizontal and miter saw, but a vertical saw. I recommend you checkout the saw section on HM. A lot of good reading.

Rick,
I use a Grizzly G0613 swivel head (mitering) horizontal saw. I realize it is not 'old iron' as you mention above. I too like the older machines, but this was what I needed when I upgraded from the common harbor freight sized unit. It swivels up to 60 degrees with stops at 45 and 60. I bought mine around 5 years ago and am happy with it. It does have a coolant pump and tank. In my opinion, unless you're a production shop using it on a daily basis, the resulting mess is not worth the difference in blade life.

7x12 saw is a good option but the hydraulic down feed suck on them. A swivel saw would be better or old iron. Get good bi metal blades right of the bat.

Last edited:
I like my Ellis bandsaw. It not only is a horizontal and miter saw, but a vertical saw. I recommend you checkout the saw section on HM. A lot of good reading.

Thank you RandyM, I have been looking at tge Ellis saws as well as the HE&M saws out of Italy.

I will check out the HM saw forum posts.

Thanks for weighing in

I don't have experience, just desire. I have looked, salivated.. but no.. no experience. I've watched quite a few fabricator youtube channels who were using it before many of the machinists on youtube started. I was always in awe. If you have long stock and need to cut miters, you know the pain of swinging the stock and how the saw's vise doesn't hold well because the jaws are at an angle. With the miters the vises are square. The stock is square to the machine, but the head rotates.

The miter style saw is appealing. Thank you

Rick,
I use a Grizzly G0613 swivel head (mitering) horizontal saw. I realize it is not 'old iron' as you mention above. I too like the older machines, but this was what I needed when I upgraded from the common harbor freight sized unit. It swivels up to 60 degrees with stops at 45 and 60. I bought mine around 5 years ago and am happy with it. It does have a coolant pump and tank. In my opinion, unless you're a production shop using it on a daily basis, the resulting mess is not worth the difference in blade life.

Thank you Rabler, glad your happy with the Grizzly. I agree on the fluid cutting being a mess, thats the biggest reason to get away from abrasive cut-offs.

I am also considering a cold saw. The footprint on these is small relatively speaking to the larger horizontal saws.

The limited depth of cut and multiple blade expense is something I need to noodle on. Accuracy and finish on a cold saw would be a benefit.

Rick

Back