Options for cutting stock to length

7x12 saw is a good option but the hydraulic down feed suck on them. A swivel saw would be better or old iron. Get good bi metal blades right of the bat.

Thank you Rodm1, which saw are referring to in regards to iffy hydraulic downfeed?

I think if you like the Ellis, then you should set yourself up with one. I’ve never read a complaint about them. Nothing below the industrial use machines doesn’t come with some tradeoffs. I have a little rotoband on a horizontal swivel. It’s about the least I’d get by with, but I would never tell somebody to get one unless they had similar space requirements, and what my wife has called super human patience.
I had a 7x12 Grizzly that was ok on its best day. I’d like to say I got good use from it, but I don’t think I’ll buy another.

Abom79 of YouTube “fame” has a saw that would fit the bill. But I’m thinking you’re looking at 12 grand or something for that.

What don't you like about the down-feed? I have saw linked below and the hydraulic down-feed works pretty well. Maybe I don't know what a "good one" feels like to know what I'm missing, but this works fine for my use. I have used this one for about a decade now and it was quite a bit cheaper back then. Not fancy but it works fine on anything that fits in the vice. It is not easy to move. I've always meant to put better wheels and a handle for moving on it but have not gotten to that, plus it doesn't move that much anyway.

Once I got this, I wonder how I got along without it. Hacksawing is no fun.

Grizzly G9742 5" x 6" 1/2 HP Metal-Cutting Bandsaw w/ Swivel Head

Grizzly G9742

I have several metal cutting saws in the shop. 4 of the six would be in the category you're looking for. The remainder are specialty saws like a 10" contour saw, and a scroll saw. The most used is a Startrite H175 horizontal/vertical bandsaw. Other saws include a Baileigh 350mm cold saw, a Racine 66W power hacksaw, and a Black & Decker 14" professional chop saw.

The most accurate and fastest is the Baileigh CS-350EU cold saw in that it is accurate to within .002" or better. It's about 1/3 faster than the next saw which would be the Startrite bandsaw. It has infinitely variable speeds from 21 rpm to 120 rpm. It can cut anything from plastics to tool steel with the right blade. It requires coolant and has a maximum cutting capacity of 4" at 90*. The head will also swivel to miter and slit.

The downsides are that it takes different blades for different materials. Each blade costs between $150.00 and $300.00 depending on brand and configuration.

As mentioned, the most used is the Startrite bandsaw. It has a vertical capacity of 7" and a horizontal capacity of 12". Like the cold saw it will cut anything from plastic to tool steel with the right blade. With a good setup it is accurate within .004" all day long. In this case the machine has only 3 speeds. 60 fpm, 100 fpm, and 120 fpm. It is coolant capable, but I don't use it. Blades run about $45.00 each. It does have an infeed roller conveyor for long stock.

It is miter capable, but in this case the head remains stationary, and the stock has to be placed at an angle.

Third most used is the Racine power hacksaw. It has by far the smallest footprint of any saw in the shop. It has a 6" x 6" capacity. It only has 2 speeds of 100 strokes per minute, and 140 strokes per minute. It has coolant capacity, mitering capacity, and variable down feed pressure. Like the other saws it can cut a variety of materials. Blades usually run around $9.00 each, but can be found for as little as $3,.00 each when purchased in bulk.

The downsides are its limited stock size capacity and slower speeds.

Least used is the chop saw. It's not nearly as accurate as any of the other saws, has a capacity similar to the power hacksaw, is noisy, stinks, and spreads dust and debris all over the shop floor.

Ellis mitering bandsaws are excellent machines. Their downside is the amount of floor space they take up and cost. The 1600 series machines are popular around here, probably they're only made a few miles down the road. They are nearly indestructible, but as mentioned also fairly expensive when compared to other used machines. I probably have less invested in the six saws in the shop than it would have cost to purchase an Ellis 1600 either new or used.

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC09973.JPG
    DSC09973.JPG
    431.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I have several metal cutting saws in the shop. 4 of the six would be in the category you're looking for. The remainder are specialty saws like a 10" contour saw, and a scroll saw. The most used is a Startrite H175 horizontal/vertical bandsaw. Other saws include a Baileigh 350mm cold saw, a Racine 66W power hacksaw, and a Black & Decker 14" professional chop saw.

The most accurate and fastest is the Baileigh CS-350EU cold saw in that it is accurate to within .002" or better. It's about 1/3 faster than the next saw which would be the Startrite bandsaw. It has infinitely variable speeds from 21 rpm to 120 rpm. It can cut anything from plastics to tool steel with the right blade. It requires coolant and has a maximum cutting capacity of 4" at 90*. The head will also swivel to miter and slit.

The downsides are that it takes different blades for different materials. Each blade costs between $150.00 and $300.00 depending on brand and configuration.

As mentioned, the most used is the Startrite bandsaw. It has a vertical capacity of 7" and a horizontal capacity of 12". Like the cold saw it will cut anything from plastic to tool steel with the right blade. With a good setup it is accurate within .004" all day long. In this case the machine has only 3 speeds. 60 fpm, 100 fpm, and 120 fpm. It is coolant capable, but I don't use it. Blades run about $45.00 each. It does have an infeed roller conveyor for long stock.

It is miter capable, but in this case the head remains stationary, and the stock has to be placed at an angle.

Third most used is the Racine power hacksaw. It has by far the smallest footprint of any saw in the shop. It has a 6" x 6" capacity. It only has 2 speeds of 100 strokes per minute, and 140 strokes per minute. It has coolant capacity, mitering capacity, and variable down feed pressure. Like the other saws it can cut a variety of materials. Blades usually run around $9.00 each, but can be found for as little as $3,.00 each when purchased in bulk.

The downsides are its limited stock size capacity and slower speeds.

Least used is the chop saw. It's not nearly as accurate as any of the other saws, has a capacity similar to the power hacksaw, is noisy, stinks, and spreads dust and debris all over the shop floor.

Ellis mitering bandsaws are excellent machines. Their downside is the amount of floor space they take up and cost. The 1600 series machines are popular around here, probably they're only made a few miles down the road. They are nearly indestructible, but as mentioned also fairly expensive when compared to other used machines. I probably have less invested in the six saws in the shop than it would have cost to purchase an Ellis 1600 either new or used.

Hi Projectnut,

Thank you so much for the detailed overview and pictures.

From a space perspective the cold saw makes a lot of sense. So your near Fitchburg area? I am located in Cedarburg, WI. What type of work do typically do in your shop?

Are you aware of anyone locally that may have a small saw they want to part with?

Rick

I have an Ellis 1600 over 20 years now and it's an excellent saw, and the most used saw in the shop. One of its key advantages is that the saw (rather than the vise) miters, so you don't have to have clear space to swing the length of your material. I have mine situated so I can raise the garage door and cut anything off of a 20' stick. That said, there are some very inexpensive 14" metal-cutting chop saws that might suit you well at a much lower price point. I have an Evolution "Rage". IIRC, it came from Home Depot for under $200. Its only downside is its capacity (and noise). It leaves a much nicer finish than a bandsaw. If I had mine mounted in some convenient way I'd probably use it a lot more.

GsT

ETA: That's a metal-cutting circular saw - NOT an abrasive cutoff saw.

I'm not aware of anyone looking to sell a saw at this time. There are however several listed-on Facebook Marketplace. Many of them actually appear to be chop saws, but there are a few real cold saws listed. If you chose to contact any of the sellers, be sure to ask if any blades are included. As I mentioned earlier, they are expensive, and ground for specific metals.

Do you have any links to the blades for that kind of pricing?

Back