Ordered a PM-935TV This Week

Ray, it's a 4" actually.

Thank you... That's very valuable information as it appears to be properly sized for that table. Looks useable on all three slots and it even looks like it will work mounted parallel to the table.

Ray

Guys,
I have another question on DRO's. Matt sells the "Easson ES-8A 3 axis DRO" and the "Easson ES-12 3 axis DRO". Are there any other advantages the ES-12 has over ES-8A? I know the ES-12 has a graphics display but am not sure how useful this is over the 3 axis display of the ES-8A.

Thanks,
-Joe

Guys,
I have another question on DRO's. Matt sells the "Easson ES-8A 3 axis DRO" and the "Easson ES-12 3 axis DRO". Are there any other advantages the ES-12 has over ES-8A? I know the ES-12 has a graphics display but am not sure how useful this is over the 3 axis display of the ES-8A.

Thanks,
-Joe

The 8s are in stock and the 12s are not is one big difference. Assuming my 12 shows up before your mill does, you are welcome to swing by and check it out. I only ordered 2 axis, but I'm thinking of upgrading the unit to 3 axis in case I ever want to rig up the knee. I'll probably put a stand-alone DRO on the quill at some point before that, though.

-Ryan

I got the ES-12 after waiting patiently for Matt to first get them in. I had the ES-8 for a short period of time before that. I never used the line & bolt hole pattern functions on the ES-8 but the graphical display on the ES-12 make all those features visually easier to use. I love the ES-12 and was set on getting one but functionally they do the same.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/9885-My-PM45M-PDF?p=105433&viewfull=1#post105433

Thanks Will... The ES-12 didn't exist when went with DRO and I wasn't sure if these were pretty much identical except for different displays. All I can say is my ES-8 and the scales that came with it are many years old now, used heavily and still going strong.

Oh, I want to mention to folks that if you ever notice that your DRO cannot zero-in on a number and as you creep-upon a value it way overshoots, it means you need to oil your leadscrews or ways...

Ray

Thanks guys for all of the help both on the forum and via PMs. I have been tied up a bit for the last month moving an operation at work and finally got back to my mobile base. Most of the welding is done so I am starting to think about paint color. It's really hard to tell from pictures if the PM935 is white or a very light gray. I was thinking of painting the base close to the mill color. Has anyone done a color match on the mill for touch up or otherwise?

Also, are there any preferred paint suppliers? Some of the forums referred to machine paint suppliers. I was originally thinking of using Rust-oleum. Good paint is getting scarce in California because of the air regs.

Thanks,
-Joe

I finally completed the construction of the mobile base for the PM935 today. The main frame is made from 4" x 4" square tubing with 3/16" wall thickness and the interior shelf for the mill is made from 3" angle with 1/4" thickness. I took Ryan's advice on out-rigging and made the left-right dimension 40" for stability. The leveling pads are Mason MLS-1000s and the wheels are 3 " Albion's rated at 1200lbs (shown unmounted in the picture). I estimate this guy weighs more than 150 lbs so it should help lower the center of gravity of the final setup. There is roughly 3/4" space over the outer dimensions of the mill base so it should fit fine. I am sooo tired of TIG welding after this project.

Now for painting it. It looks like most folks are going with Sherwin Williams "Industrial Enamel HS". My local dealer gave me the name of a factory rep to hunt it down. It looks like I will have to use a hardener with it to get reasonable drying time. If this does not pan out then I may be going with Valspar Tractor And Implement Enamel.

-Joe

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPGIMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

Very nice. When I finally order my 935TV, will you build me one of these? :))

Bill

Back