Ordering from C$&2@&A etc..

I recently ordered a 5” 4 jaw independent Vertex chuck from Rotagrip in the UK. I wanted to try a Vertex but couldn’t find one in the States. Long story short, it was held up in U.S. customs, apparently they couldn’t tell what it was by x-ray, didn’t open it to look, and sent it back to Rotagrip. Your tax dollars at work. The folks at Rotagrip were great to deal with though, and gave me a full refund.

Tom

I've ordered various things from the UK, and never had any problems at all.

I won't order anything directly from China, and prefer not to buy Chinese stuff generally, though of course it's hard to avoid sometimes. Then I buy
from a supplier in the US.

Last edited:
I ordered a gear for my Clausing lathe from UK and everything went just fine.
I ordered a pair of sprockets for my mini Kubota excavator from France and they sent sprockets for a Komatsu mini and wouldn't refund my money. This was through Urparts who is a middle man for manufacturers.

Have had good success with items from the UK and EU, have ordered from Rotagrip without problems. I rarely buy anything direct from China/HK these days, have had more problems the last year with very long shipping times, items not showing up or arriving broken. As others have mentioned there are some US distribution centers for items coming from China. As of some recently items show a US location f(like eBay) for the vendor, but items are shipped through DHL ecommerce and seems to be no tracking information for a week and then get delivered by USPS. It may be that the are still shipped by air from China (based on the packaging) and are then routed to the USPS for delivery. Example is below, but still quicker than buying from Chinese mainland vendors. I use to get power supplies direct from Taiwan which arrived within a week by DHL air. Other than a one or two items that I occasionally need these days, I no longer purchase items from Asia. I have also noticed significant increases in the cost of some items (like power resistors for braking), I now purchase these from Mouser and DigiKey for not much more and much better quality.

Also beware that there are numerous Amazon vendors with common US company names like Merlintools that ship from China and may take a month to arrive or longer. You often miss the shipping information and there is no information as to the vendors location or where it is shipped form.
EN ROUTE TO DHL ECOMMERCE
Mar-09-2018, 06:52 AM

ARRIVAL AT DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Mar-12-2018, 20:33 PM, Hebron, KY 41048

PROCESSED
Mar-12-2018, 21:22 PM, Hebron, KY 41048

DEPARTURE ORIGIN DHL ECOMMERCE FACILITY
Mar-13-2018, 06:25 AM, Hebron, KY 41048

ARRIVAL DESTINATION DHL ECOMMERCE FACILITY
Mar-14-2018, 05:34 AM, Phoenix, AZ 85043

TENDERED TO DELIVERY SERVICE PROVIDER
Mar-14-2018, 05:59 AM, Phoenix, AZ 85043

ARRIVED USPS SORT FACILITY
Mar-16-2018, 03:53 AM, Tucson, AZ 85718

We've had no problems here. From shop stuff to an order for a (1000) copies of a children's book my Better-Half wrote.
As mentioned above, on the small stuff, sometimes it's quick other times it is slow.
The recently acquired DRO made it in (8) days.
As much as I would like to purchase stateside, the fact is that we now live in a global economy and costs do matter when making a decision.

On Monday, I ordered about $100 worth of lathe and mill tooling from BangGood, in China, I got a shipping confirmation for the complete order on Tuesday morning.

Thanks , folks. Just a couple of small electrical item. Not able to find US made. Less than $20
Will give it a try.
Dave

I've placed around 10 orders with Banggood with no problems. The stuff is Chinese, of course. But it's frequently the same Chinese stuff that US sellers send you.

https://www.banggood.com/
Agreed. AliExpress, too. The prices are unbelievably cheap and the freight dirt cheap or free. Just takes a few weeks unless you pay a bit more for quicker shipping. Much cheaper than eBay for most stuff. Just commodity stuff, no pristine vintage tooling from China vendors. But then, commodities are just commodities.

I sometimes order from the US (a foreign country to me), but mostly from China (eBay and Banggood) or Netherlands for metric drills and hardware. No issues except when ordering from US, the exorbitant (extortionist?) shipping costs push me to look elsewhere. And of course it is likely to be Chinese made anyway.

Back