OT - I Gave my Wife a Vacuum for Christmas and Survived

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm sure many of you think that I must be posting this from my hospital bed. On the contrary, I'm alive and well.

When I was a boy, my father gave my mother an electric edger for Mother's Day. This was before string-trimmers were invented. The device in question had a 4 inch metal blade which spun at several thousand rpm. From my mother's reaction, I fully expected to have to testify at her trial, with that "infernal machine" featured as "exhibit A" aka "the murder weapon". This episode was has influenced me throughout my life.

My first wife (GRHS) was of a similar mind, devices of domestic drudgery were not acceptable gifts on any occasion. PERIOD! Approach that line at your own peril. A friend's wife recently summed it up quite nicely, "don't get me anything with a handle". Best to stick with something safe, jewelry is always a good bet.

Fast forward to this Christmas. Among my many gifts were two particularly appropriate tee shirts.
The first, because I am an avid firewood hoarder and chainsaw aficionado.

WP_20191225_12_26_55_Pro.jpg

The second requires no explanation here.

WP_20191224_21_51_12_Pro.jpg

But I digress.

I gave my wife a vacuum for Christmas. In my defense, she asked for it. I don't mean that she did something awful and this was my revenge. She literally asked for a new vacuum. Our old one is not that old and is perfectly serviceable, but she wanted a newer, lighter one. She wanted a Shark. So, contrary to all the lessons I had learned in the preceding 60+ years, I got her one. She was so excited that she had me assemble it before dessert. The children were scarcely out the door before she was happily vacuuming the entire first floor, all the while marveling at how light and maneuverable it was and how much crap it was picking up despite having vacuumed earlier in the day.

In closing, let me say that my wife is definitely a keeper. I just hope she feels that way about me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukkah to all of you.

000_0020.JPG

You need another tee shirt…. “Played with fire… and didn’t get burnt.”

Merry Christmas Mr. & Mrs Whoopee!

Tom

P.S. I got a set of golf clubs for my ex one Christmas. Best swap I ever made.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Ps. I got my wife a hand blender.
Hey, it was on her list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure many of you think that I must be posting this from my hospital bed. On the contrary, I'm alive and well.

When I was a boy, my father gave my mother an electric edger for Mother's Day. This was before string-trimmers were invented. The device in question had a 4 inch metal blade which spun at several thousand rpm. From my mother's reaction, I fully expected to have to testify at her trial, with that "infernal machine" featured as "exhibit A" aka "the murder weapon". This episode was has influenced me throughout my life.

My first wife (GRHS) was of a similar mind, devices of domestic drudgery were not acceptable gifts on any occasion. PERIOD! Approach that line at your own peril. A friend's wife recently summed it up quite nicely, "don't get me anything with a handle". Best to stick with something safe, jewelry is always a good bet.

Fast forward to this Christmas. Among my many gifts were two particularly appropriate tee shirts.

View attachment 308698

View attachment 308700

But I digress.

I gave my wife a vacuum for Christmas. In my defense, she asked for it. I don't mean that she did something awful and this was my revenge. She literally asked for a new vacuum. Our old one is not that old and is perfectly serviceable, but she wanted a newer, lighter one. She wanted a Shark. So, contrary to all the lessons I had learned in the preceding 60+ years, I got her one. She was so excited that she had me assemble it before dessert. The children were scarcely out the door before she was happily vacuuming the entire first floor, all the while marveling at how light and maneuverable it was and how much crap it was picking up despite having vacuumed earlier in the day.

In closing, let me say that my wife is definitely a keeper. I just hope she feels that way about me.

View attachment 308701

Weather is looking good there in Northern Cali. Fine Woman, wine & weather, what more could a man want or need?
Running with the Shark with the Kidz barely out of the house. :high 5:
My gal likes to vacuum also. Definitely Keepers. (My -ex didn't know where to find the vacuum...)
That being said I had save myself repair duties and grab extra up-rights at estate sales. She's a tad hard on them, along with push & riding mowers.
In my vain attempt to keep the 'house' vac in decent shape, We've got one in the basement, one out on the enclosed porch and there was one in my shop. Yep - one in my shop. If I'm busy doing 'Honey-Dos', riding mower, vehicle repair, etc, she'll grab a vac in the shop and start going at it.
Drives her crazy how messy I let the shop become. Only problem with that is the indiscriminate pick up of 'hard stuff'.
Pretty much toasted the up-right, it didn't like screws & swarf.
I finally got smart and setup a smallish 6-gal ShopVac for her to use. Heck if she's going to go at it, I should make it easy on her - right?. :grin:

Merry Christmas!

I am only starting to get to know you guys, but already I can perceive a common thread.
Chainsaws, blenders, riding mowers, snow blowers, workshops packed with cutting machinery, all spiced up with a fine line in gift brinkmanship!

You all, to some extent, like to live dangerously!

Last edited:
Well I can add to that. I also gave my wife a hand blower,wich she wanted and picked out and in return I got a leave blower. So we are even. I am happy with my gift

View attachment 308698

View attachment 308700

But I digress.

View attachment 308701

Nice pic. Notice the wine from Banrock Station. That winery is about a 3 hour drive from where I live.

Last edited:
My wife and I have gotten to the point where I tell her what I want for christmas, and she tells me what she wants.
It is better that way, especially in the post 65 YO range where we already have everything we ever wanted.

Back