OT - I Gave my Wife a Vacuum for Christmas and Survived

It already did a few posts back - I for one ain't complaining.
If I ever make it down-under I know where I'm stopping by. . . :grin:

Charles, you've really got me over a barrel with that sichuan hotpot. I'm allergic to chilli and everything else at the top end of the nightshade tree, so count me out on that one.

So the only real difference is the soup / dashi and the noodles. I tend to stay away from those udon noodles also, I find them too starchy. I usually use the mung been or glass noodles I also like the konnyaku noodles, very low calorie. I also have spring onions and garlic growing in my garden, along with a bunch of herbs and a few other things.

I do love the traditional; raw egg served with Sukiyaki. Still each to their own.

If you like the konjak low calorie have a look for algae noodles, use the same way but they have a bit of a crunch. we use them in place of spaghetti.

Interesting thread, starts with house cleaning tools as gifts and end with discussion on elegant food. This is why I like Hobby-Machinist. Now to upset the dining table, Wasn't sure how late Christmas diner would be served (difficult driving after dark) so I had a plan B. Cooked some pinto beans in the slow cooker and left a box of Corn Bread mix on the counter. My daughter served a delicious Christmas dinner in the early afternoon, got home just at nightfall and had a good day. About the Pinto beans, this was the fare of many families in the Four Corners several times a week during lean years of dry land farming, hadn't had any in some time.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
Interesting thread, starts with house cleaning tools as gifts and end with discussion on elegant food. This is why I like Hobby-Machinist. Now to upset the dining table, Wasn't sure how late Christmas diner would be served (difficult driving after dark) so I had a plan B. Cooked some pinto beans in the slow cooker and left a box of Corn Bread mix on the counter. My daughter served a delicious Christmas dinner in the early afternoon, got home just at nightfall and had a good day. About the Pinto beans, this was the fare of many families in the Four Corners several times a week during lean years of dry land farming, hadn't had any in some time.
Have a good day
Ray
Heck pinto beans, I've grown up on them, and had them as a part of the diet from ChiTown to D/FW to SoCal then ChiTown again and now TN.

Mentioning driving at night - Is it only me or are the newer LEDs from oncoming traffic wreaking havoc with one's night vision?
(how's that for taking the thread in yet another direction?)

Mentioning driving at night - Is it only me or are the newer LEDs from oncoming traffic wreaking havoc with one's night vision?
(how's that for taking the thread in yet another direction?)
Thats one of the reasons I dislike driving at night, the other reason is as follows.
I want to know what morons designed the majority of street lights and worse still all the brain dead officials who thought it was OK that they all shine outwards straight into your eyes.
I was under the impression they were supposed to shine downwards to illuminate the road surface but I must be wrong because they ALL shine everywhere except where they are supposed to shine.
How many actually have a shield on the bottom so the base of the light pole and road is in shadow.
Some designs even shine upwards, maybe they were expecting flying cars to be all the norm.

No , it's not only you . I drive my little civic into work each night . I'm feeling the urge to mount a few forward and rearward facing light bars on the raised F250 PowerStroke and blast these arseholes back .

Back