OT tire bead sealing

Used them, had one that you inflated to cause it to shrink.

Bobcat tire is 12 ply, when beads are touching but not pushing hard enough to hold air straps and other magic just did not do well.

The rubber cement bridged the gap and allowed the tire to hold air well enough to move onto the rim.

The stuff we used was scotch 77, made for paper it does not have the strength to prevent the tire from coming off.

These are yard equipment, not high performance custom stuff so no worries about residue, wire wheel takes it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A non-destructive field expedient when having difficulty getting a tubeless tire to seal on the wheel; remove the valve stem core. The valve stem core restricts the flow of compressed air. With the core removed, 3X the air volume can flow through the stem. Often, this increased volume is sufficient to push the tire beads onto the wheel. Once the tire bead is seated, reinstall the valve stem core and correct the pressure.

jack vines

The amount of energy stored at the tire/bead interface on a tire at road pressures is staggering. One year, I think the Army lost more soldiers to tire inflation "mishaps" than to off-duty motorcycle collisions. A lot of these had to do with split ring wheel use, but the force on the bead is the same. There are videos on youtube if you have a strong stomach. As for me, I'll keep using ratchet straps and dish soap to seat the bead, and a regular compressor to fill it up. Diethyl ether and a blue tip match is creative, but not a very good plan for longevity.

I use a ratchet strap often and have the cheetah setup on my tire machine. Sometimes it takes multiple approaches. The ones I hate working on are the smaller mower tires, and the like. Would rather do a backhoe tire. Mike

I have seen (and heard) it done this way with propane and a oxygen/acetylene torch on a large backhoe rear tire. Raises the adrenaline levels.

That's just foolhardy. I have used ether but draw the line there. THINK about it for a while!

That's just foolhardy. I have used ether but draw the line there. THINK about it for a while!
OK, I thought about it for a while. Take something highly explosive and put it into a sealed container and set it off.
Terrorists use that technique using pressure cookers!:faint:

I have a lawn tracker that has a tire that unseats itself regularly. I put a ratchet strap around it, remove the valve stem, then apply compressed air. This seats the tire in no time. You have to be careful with the ratchet strap, because the inflating tire can put tremendous pressure on the strap, so I inflate until seated, then stop and reinstall the valve stem, then remove the strap. Only then do I finish inflating the tire.

Back