Other uses for way oil?

Here in Minnesota there is winter and summer weight bar oil. I'm not a logger, perhaps its everywhere.
Summer is a bit thicker. It can really make a difference on snugging up worn ways....

Beware there is also synthetic bar/chain oil.

Daryl
MN
I didn't know there was synthetic.

The last bar oil I bought (from Walmart) was obviously recycled. It had that sweet smell of 90 wt gear oil.

I didn't know there was synthetic.

The last bar oil I bought (from Walmart) was obviously recycled. It had that sweet smell of 90 wt gear oil.
Not sure “sweet” is a term that can be applied to the smell of gear oil….even if sarcastically.

Next to my Swiss Mountain dogs “gas emanations”, probably one of the worst things I’ve ever had the displeasure of getting in my nose…

I've been using the summer weight bar/chain oil available from the local general supply/hardware/lumber/hunting store.

It's all about being tacky. Compare your current way oil with whatever you might use. Put a drop between your fingertips and separate them. Tacky oil will stick and stretch. It will not run off your fingers. Do not use something with a detergent on anything that might have bronze/babbit bushings.

Daryl
MN

Detergents are okay on yellow metal, it's the sulfur and HP additives that attack those. Gear oil is full of sulfur and HP additives, that's why everybody enjoys how it smells! Bar oil is, in my assessment (which nobody should care about, especially Daryl) is whatever oil base is coming out the end of the pipe on a given day with a LOT of tackifiers added to it. Note that there are no performance specs on the bottle from ISO, SAE or the chainsaw cutter's consortium. It just says it makes your blade last longer, and that it works on "all" chainsaws.

My machinery is effing expensive. I've never paid for a car what I paid for my mill and lathe. They are the most expensive things I own. In light of that, I stick with oils that are stated for a specific purpose or specified by the manufacturer for use on their tools. Get this straight, I'm not telling you what to rub on your baby, that's your business. I just have a sound rationale on how I treat mine.

Back