Our Educational System-Science

What is the boiling point of water at sea level? To make coffee.
What holds the planets in place in our galaxy? Planets have orbits so they are not "held" in place. The suns gravity keeps them in orbit.
What is the speed of light? Einstein's Constant
What covers 2/3 of earths surface? Used to be soda pop pull tabs, then cigarette buts, now its plastic.
What is the largest organ on the human body? eh-hem.....SKIN!

Last edited:
very little real world practical experience.
About 100 years ago when I was in high school, they changed the rules on who could teach. The only shop class I took was electronics. The teacher had been a tech and was excellent. It was his last year of teaching because he didn't have a teaching certificate from a university.

When I was in college I had a math minor, just for fun. Several people wanted me to help them with their only required (to get a teaching certificate) math class. Many sessions later I had managed to get them through it. They had to know how to figure average, median, and draw a bell curve. That's it!

My grand kids spend way more time on sports than learning something useful. Yup, I avoided PE as much as possible. Maybe I could have made millions as a basket ball star?

I dunno', facts are important but facts can be looked up. I suspect many of us were taught "facts" and failed to remember them for very long unless those facts mattered in our daily lives. What is more disturbing to me is that our young people are not taught to think critically, to ask why or how, and then figure it out for themselves.

One of the most intelligent people I have ever known was my Grandmother. She was a 100% Hawaiian woman with a 3rd grade education. She was fluent in both the Hawaiian and English languages, a master Lauhala weaver and was a Kahuna lāʻau lapaʻau (herbal medicine doctor). I lived most of my younger life with her and my grandfather on Maui and we essentially lived off the land and trust me, we lived well! She taught me to always ask myself why things are the way they are and if it wasn't immediately apparent, figure out how that thing worked. In her world, there were no books or computers; she had to figure things out for herself because there was no other choice. I truly wonder how many PhD's could be dropped into the wild and survive, much less thrive as she did.

I clearly remember one day when I sat beside her cleaning some sweet potatoes with a knife. I wasn't paying attention and sliced my index finger down to the bone. She calmly put pressure on it and reached over to grab some leaves from what I thought was a weed that grew all over the place on our property and chewed them, then spit them out onto that cut. Later, she made a poultice from that weed and changed it daily. Within two weeks, that cut was completely healed. No stitches, no infection, no loss of nerve function and no loss of circulation. It was decades later that I learned the "fact" that the nerves and blood supply to the fingers run along the sides of our digits, right where that knife cut, and that such an injury today would require a hand surgeon and antibiotics.

So yes, facts are important but they are not all important. Of all the many people I know or knew, the one I most admire was my Grandmother. She taught me how to live but more importantly, she taught me how to think.

What is more disturbing to me is that our young people are not taught to think critically, to ask why or how, and then figure it out for themselves.
Sad but true. When asking why, use the Japanese system and ask WHY 5 times. That will likely get you to the root of the question.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Sad but true. When asking why, use the Japanese system and ask WHY 5 times. That will likely get you to the root of the question.
When all else fails, read the instructions.
Hi @Larry$, someday, remind me to start a long thread for posterity on sharing my research on how the 5Y system originated from a WWII training program.

What did I learn about the public education system in high school in the late 70' early 80s? The school’s primary mission was keeping warm bodies in chairs (head count for tax dollars) and moving you through the system as expedient as possible regardless of outcome.

My experience:

My freshman year I had Algebra 1. This had been the norm for freshman. The first semester went fine, and I did well. About two weeks into the second semester, I got lost (those darn polynomials) and I waited too long to ask for help. I learn by example and when the homework did not follow the in-class instruction it was game over. I got so far behind my school counselor told me to drop it and take again the next year.

Junior year and Algebra 1 once again. The first semester was a breeze as I had already aced that the previous year. This time I was ready for what was to come. As soon as I started to have trouble I went to the teacher (not the same as the previous year) and asked for help. Her response? If you can’t keep up, you don’t belong in the class. WTH????

Now at the time my father was the dean of the local community college. When I told him about what had happened, he didn’t believe me. Assuring him of the situation he scheduled a meeting with the teacher. He was a professional educator and administrator, so this is his wheelhouse so to speak.

I waited outside while he met with her. I expected to be called in to discuss how I would get help. Instead, my father came out seeming upset and said, “let’s go”. We marched to the principal’s office where my father read him the riot act about how worthless my teacher was, had no business teaching anyone anything and would be pulling me out of her class. Things got heated, and words were exchanged I did not hear very often from him.

That set the tone for the rest of the year. I’m fairly sure the principle put a target on my back as many of my teachers became openly hostile to me the remainder of the year. It got bad enough my father had another “contentious” meeting with the principle and in the end, it was agreed I would transfer to another high school for my junior and senior year. The principle did not want me to leave (lost warm body to collect tax dollars on) but my father prevailed.

At the start of my junior year my new school counselor, thinking I was just a screwup, advised me to take general math as it would satisfy my math requirement to graduate. Fine whatever, I was done with the system at this point.

General math was an eye opener. The first day I was given a work sheet to do in class. On it were four squares divided equally into four connecting squares with some of the areas shaded. The task was to figure what fraction represented the shaded area. It was multiple choice! There was no time limit and students turned them in as they finished and started on the next. I was a bit shocked as this was grade school level math. It took me all of 10 seconds to do the first sheet. I felt so bad for the other students, some of which I knew, who were really struggling.

Two weeks into the class and one day my teacher tells me I cannot be in her class anymore??? The problem was I had finished all the work for the semester and she had nothing else for me to do. Now, by this time Algebra 1 and been broken up into two courses, 1a & 1b, so Algebra 1 over two years. This reaffirmed to me that grade and middle school was no longer preparing students well enough for high school. I was seeing evidence of this in other classes.

My new counselor in his infinite wisdom put me in Algebra 1a, which is the first semester of Algebra 1 over a whole year. I told him I would rather take 1b as I had already taken the equivalent of 1a twice already. The bureaucracy says NO! you must take 1a before 1b! No exceptions! Ugh!

Algebra 1a, Wow, being in a class full of freshmen as a junior. That was fun. The class was taught by the swim coach who I believe was about one chapter ahead of the class. He did figure out quite quickly that I was well versed with the course. So much so I was promoted to teachers aid which meant he spent 10 minutes on the lesson plan and then I was left to answer question while he went and tanned by the pool!

Half of my senior class had to take at least one summer class to have enough credits to get their diploma even though they could participate in the graduation ceremony. Really disappointing. I managed to graduate on time by taking five English classes my senior year.

After high school my girlfriend (now wife) wanted to take some refresher courses over the summer before college started. I took an Algebra 1 class with her just because I wanted to actually finish it. It was a fast paced three-week class, six hours a day at the community college my father worked at. The instructor was amazing. He was one of the best instructors I ever had. He could tell by looking at you if you got it or not and if he sensed you didn’t he would present the material in a different way until you did without ever asking. It was awesome. I liked him so much I signed up for all his summer classes up though calculus.

None of which I can now remember without looking up, except fractions and decimals!

Its amazing how much a good teacher can bring out of a student.
I always came bottom of the class in History for the first three years in high school.
For some reason the teacher hated me and I never scored higher than 15% in any history test.
In the 4th year we had a different teacher and wonder of wonders I came second with a 98% score in the first test.
I never dropped below 90% in any history test in that year.
I once had a student who had zero confidence and always put himself down. Over the course of his first year I managed to turn him around to where he succeeded and passed and on graduation his mother hugged me and thanked me for the huge improvement I had made to her son.
I think he had been told his whole school life that he was no good and believed it and it colored his whole behavior.

I think he had been told his whole school life that he was no good and believed it and it colored his whole behavior.
That is so true. I had the opportunity once to mentor a friend build a toy tractor for his son. He knew I could build stuff and had a workshop so he asked if I’d help him. Every weekend he’d come over and we’d work away, and then one day I was stunned to find out he’d never been shown how to build anything before. He said his Dad would always take the hammer away and say something like “gimme that, you’re no good doing that and will hurt yourself...” so he never learned. He was in his mid-fifties for crying out loud and had never used a saw before.

I don’t know, I guess I was really lucky growing up. I was good at school but my parents supported me in whatever I wanted to do. Some kids aren’t so fortunate, and I think that’s really sad.

-frank

What did I learn about the public education system in high school in the late 70' early 80s? The school’s primary mission was keeping warm bodies in chairs (head count for tax dollars) and moving you through the system as expedient as possible regardless of outcome.

My experience:

My freshman year I had Algebra 1. This had been the norm for freshman. The first semester went fine, and I did well. About two weeks into the second semester, I got lost (those darn polynomials) and I waited too long to ask for help. I learn by example and when the homework did not follow the in-class instruction it was game over. I got so far behind my school counselor told me to drop it and take again the next year.

Junior year and Algebra 1 once again. The first semester was a breeze as I had already aced that the previous year. This time I was ready for what was to come. As soon as I started to have trouble I went to the teacher (not the same as the previous year) and asked for help. Her response? If you can’t keep up, you don’t belong in the class. WTH????
I'm taking pre-algebra in 7th grade, next year I take algebra 1. some kids even make it to calculus in 11th grade!!

Back