Our Educational System-Science

In defense of the California school system, I feel as though my education in the sixties and early 70's was pretty darn good for public schools.
Somewhere along the line it started to falter.
My wife was a teacher in California until her retirement a few years ago. According to her, border states suffered low test results partially due to a language barrier. I won't get into the political side of the subject :)
My boys both agreed, Dad, you are just strange. My oldest said, school wasn't exactly a place I paid much attention. He's the one that made $194,000 last year.
My Son went to grade school in Pa, back in the 90's. I was shocked to learn that their kindergarten, had kids that could not speak English. There was about five kids that had adult translators, translating what the teacher said for the kids. How can anybody learn like that?

Well by the end of our vacation she had her tables memorized.
To my amazement, that is something they do not teach any more. Worse yet, they teach estimation, even when the kid knows the answer, they have to estimate the wrong answer. You teach your kid things to help them out, and it ends up hruting them.

OH and my daughter came home with weekend home-work. I said on Sunday, do you have your home-work finished? She said "Dad I can turn it in on Wednesday and get 1/2 credit...!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said get your butt into your room and finish it NOW!! God, try that with your boss at work. They are dumbing down our kids.... If you can home school or send your kids to a private school. You better.

Last edited by a moderator:
people called me a, know it all so I learned to keep my mouth shut in school. the best response it said was,¨i wanted to see what would happen if I did the complete opposite of you¨. Harold from the red-green show taught me that one. they stopped talking about me. guess I am a nerd then. just like harold :grin:
My screen name (and avatar) are that of a know-it-all knowledgeable person from a long forgotten cartoon. I was given the name by a friend back in the 70s because there was no Google (or internet) and I was only too happy to answer his questions and explain how things work. I haven't changed much.

It truly does relate to curiosity and the ability to retain information (both useful and useless).
I'm still curious, but the retention is beginning to slip, so now I just make sh*t up.

This will sound big headed but is true.
When I went to catering college (1966) there was a basic science subject.
I went to the first class to get my name on the books and that was all.
I turned up for the exam and after asking who I was the teacher let me take the test.
In 5 mins I got up and handed the paper back whereupon he said "I didnt think you could do it"
I said "No, I've answered all the questions"
He looked at them and said "Okay, now I know why you never came to class" and passed me.
It really was basic general science knowledge but half the class failed.
Towards the end of my teaching career a student had to attend 80% of all classes (not just the practical classes) and pass the exam to be given a pass irrespective of a score of 100% in the test which if the test is a valid test should be sufficient.
Our education system is being dumbed down, there are no full time teachers left in my old department, they only employ part time staff now who have no teaching qualifications and very little real world practical experience.
I find it very dissapointing.

Are you sure you're only in 7th grade?
according to dave the tolerance is half a brooms stick and they have big brooms, so it is easy to tell what is on the border of the rules. yes, I'm in 7th grade for now. soon will be 8th. cant go to tech school until 10th grade and you use manual machines in 11th and CNC in 12th.

Ignorant you can work with, stupid, not so much, and possibly the worst willfully ignorant. Mike
I know people who are like that. hard to work within groups with them. just let them copy off of my paper so they would stop begging me for answers, this was for the speed of steel vs acrilic ball rolling.

Back