Our Educational System-Science

While I don't disagree with your sentiment expressed here - I choose to try a different approach:

"Whenever a person’s lack of shame offends you, you should immediately ask yourself, 'So is it possible for there to be no shameless people in the world?' It isn’t, and you should therefore stop demanding the impossible. He’s just one of those shameless people who must necessarily exist in the world. You should keep the same thought readily available for when you’re faced with devious and untrustworthy people, and people who are flawed in any way. As soon as you remind yourself that it’s impossible for such people not to exist, you’ll be kinder to each and every one of them. It’s also helpful immediately to consider what virtue nature has granted us human beings to deal with any given offense — gentleness, for instance, to counter discourteous people…"

- Marcus Aurelius

Ahh yes but you read the words of a stoic in a book he wrote and were inspired ;)

Stu

(lighthearted joke intended) :)

Have you seen Mark Dice ask people to name an author(of any book ever) ?

ow dear .

Stu
That is something I have seen I'm afraid.
There is hope, my youngest has a Masters degree in child development. He didn't read a real book until high school.
I think sometimes it just takes an experience or exposure to something the individual has an interest in.

That is something I have seen I'm afraid.
There is hope, my youngest has a Masters degree in child development. He didn't read a real book until high school.
I think sometimes it just takes an experience or exposure to something the individual has an interest in.

I was chatting to a pal who is a head of faculty at a major uk uni , he was marking, I was asking him and giving some bantz about the use of gramerly and other AI writing assistants on course work and such.

Yeah it's an interest thing for sure and the amount of media available to people is ever increasing. Quoting from a video that I worked on related to historic works of art "the average person see's more images in one hour of there day to day life than the average person of the 15th century would see in a lifetime".

We are all bombarded with so much easy entertainment and synapse pleasuring things that it's easy to not go out looking for something deeper or more meaningful. (hay look I have watched some episodes of friends myself I'm not judging I'm just saying ;) )

Stu

I think sometimes it just takes an experience or exposure to something the individual has an interest in

Literally this. School wrecked my will to read with dull, dated, uninteresting dross that was below my level, being honest about it. I got seriously ill with flu when I was maybe 9 or 10. Dad rented me a couple of movies, one of which was Asterix in Britain. I loved it. Then I found Dad had the whole collection of comics on the bookshelf and that got me started again. I now have a sizeable Sci-Fi hardback collection and technical library.

A few years later at secondary school I got into wargaming with one of my mates who was heavily dyslexic. Such was his desire and enthusiasm to read Games Worshop magazine's and rulebooks, his reading level shot up so fast I believe they didn't even class him as dyslexic enough to need special help by the time we left school. His mum was ecstatic that he'd found something that interested him enough to kick-start his reading and the rest followed.

Doesn't take much.

Social media had a chance to improve the world at it beginnings but is now the lowest and worst source of information. We older folks had working libraries and even in some cases home encyclopedias to use to further our education of the real world.
Pierre

Social media has made the development of critical thinking skills so important. With social media we now have the issue of people putting claims that Politician X is secretly an alien lizardman from Antares on the same level as man crashes his car into a lamp post. One of these is plausible, the other...

Literally this. School wrecked my will to read with dull, dated, uninteresting dross that was below my level, being honest about it. I got seriously ill with flu when I was maybe 9 or 10. Dad rented me a couple of movies, one of which was Asterix in Britain. I loved it. Then I found Dad had the whole collection of comics on the bookshelf and that got me started again. I now have a sizeable Sci-Fi hardback collection and technical library.

A few years later at secondary school I got into wargaming with one of my mates who was heavily dyslexic. Such was his desire and enthusiasm to read Games Worshop magazine's and rulebooks, his reading level shot up so fast I believe they didn't even class him as dyslexic enough to need special help by the time we left school. His mum was ecstatic that he'd found something that interested him enough to kick-start his reading and the rest followed.

Doesn't take much.

My wife had a similar issue, it was actually painful for her to read in the beginning so by middle school she could barely read, it was only when she found some fantasy books (the Xanth series) that she really enjoyed that she was able to push through that and learned to read. As an adult she reads a lot.

Aaron,
Good point. My brother will tell me politician X did this and so and so did that.
I'm alarmed so I check it out. Come to find out there is no truth to his news.
I just grin and move on.
I say, Rick, you are 66, why do you want to go through life angry. Turn off the TV.

Aaron,
Good point. My brother will tell me politician X did this and so and so did that.
I'm alarmed so I check it out. Come to find out there is no truth to his news.
I just grin and move on.
I say, Rick, you are 66, why do you want to go through life angry. Turn off the TV.

The best decision that I ever made was when I stopped viewing/listening/reading the sensationalized (fake??) news. My blood pressure is down, I feel much more relaxed and have a better outlook on life.

Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley, and David Brinkley are rolling in their graves with what has happened to the news providers. This could go off the deep end, so just nod in agreement. :)

Not to be rude, but you only have to read through this thread and similar to get a feeling for education levels. Punctuation, spelling, paragraphs, even periods, wow.

Back