Oxy-acc Life Span

Acetylene is heavier than air and is highly explosive.
The density of acetylene at STP is 1.17 g/L. That of air is 1.27 g/L. It is highly explosive: it can explode all by itself without any oxygen.

I have transported both oxygen and acetylene bottles lying down in the back seat of a car. I kept all the windows open. Better to transport them standing up in the back of a truck chained in place, though. I built a rack for that even though I only use it about once every five years.

New tanks are issued with screw on protective caps to protect the necks of the cylinders. Make sure you have them and use them whenever tanks are removed from a secure holder. An oxygen tank has between two and three thousand psi in it. If the tank falls over and the neck breaks off the cylinder will become an unguided missile going thru walls and just about anything else in it's way. I don't believe it's legal to transport cylinders on the road without the caps. When you're done using them shut the gas valves and turn the regulators out to zero psi. This will preserve the accuracy of the regulators and be an extra safeguard in case the cylinder shut off valve leaks. Acetylene is heavier than air and is highly explosive. Try to store the tanks in a spot that won't allow the gas to pool in the event of an acetylene leak.
***CORRECTION***
In my post above I stated acetylene is heavier than air. It is NOT. Acetylene is lighter than air. My apologies.

I eventually converted my oxy-acet to oxy-propane. The extra temperature of oxy-acetylene flame over oxy-propane was not necessary for my hobby purposes. Just involves changing the acet tank for a standard propane tank.
It is a relief to not has acetylene in my shop. Propane is cheaper and more familiar to handle.

Well, not sure of reading the dates on these, but if it is what I think, the last time stamped was 1995! Better take them in. Got new hoses ready to go.

Back