Oxy-acc Life Span

The tanks will be stamped identifying whether or not they are owned or rented. Rented tanks for some people are a big pain. Make sure you have the tanks secured to a wall or similar so the tanks cannot fall. You do not want the valve to get knocked off!!! When you are through using the regulators, I always unscrew the adjustment to relieve the pressure on the diaphragm…Good Luck, Dave.

I got screwed off a set I bought at auction last December. I took the Oxy tank back to the supply joint who's name was on it and
they just took it saying that it was a leased tank and that was that.
The receipt from the auction meant nothing to them. I contacted the auction house and they could have cared less.
Needless to say, they won't be seeing the acetylene tank back at their place.
So now I've got two acetylene tanks, one full, other empty, and a torch set, just sitting.
So now I know to verify that there is a receipt of ownership before attempting to buy a set.

My O/A 'set' was assembled from bits 'n' pieces by my dad in the 1970's. Many tank exchanges over the years. A new set of hoses every 10 year or so. 1 new acetylene regulator (IIRC around 1990). O-rings as needed. A new cutting tip when half-way through a big project is expected.

So, with a modicum of maintenance, a lifetime of hobbyist service is very doable.

One thing to add. NO OIL ON THE REGULATORS, threads or anywhere. Most especially the Oxygen. Gases are gases and these do not degrade significantly over time. If they have gas in them, use it.

Good stuff, guys, thanks. I am familiar with using the equipment in general, just never had my own. I am ordering new hoses already, and figured I would check out the regulators as well. When I get home tonight I will look for the certification date. As for the torch parts, they are new. Old, but never used!

Just a note of caution on used tanks. If you buy a tank that is empty, get it hydro-tested even if the last hydro-test was within two years. An empty tank may mean the valve was left open allowing moisture to enter. I once saw a steel scuba tank sail 50' into the air (and through a roof) when the bottom gave out. It had been hydro-tested 9 months previously, but emptied of air and the valve left open. The guy that bought it and brought it to the shop was quite ashen when informed. Luckily no one was hurt.

One thing to add. NO OIL ON THE REGULATORS, threads or anywhere. Most especially the Oxygen. Gases are gases and these do not degrade significantly over time. If they have gas in them, use it.

Wiki says that acetylene is "intrinsically unstable", although it doesnt go into much detail apart from stating that it will spontaneously and explosively self-react when placed under high pressure.

Your note on the oil reminds me of an anecdote I'd like to share from my younger days. I used to be an avid computer hardware afficionado and used to overclock my equipment way past the design specs. To do this you had to up supply voltages and whatnot and also get rid of the heat generated. The colder the better; supercooled CPUs are able to overclock significantly. To that end I adopted, as I am wont to do, another hobby area of interest namely phase-change refrigeration. I successfully built my own system using a freezer compressor and a copper evaporator mangled from a block of copper using a hand-held swing drill and soldered-on cap. Crude, but it worked.

The serious overclockers in search of performance records employed what is known as a cascade - the outer cascade's evaporator would cool the condensor of an inner stage, which used a gas with a lower boiling point. Multi-stage cascades can be created this way, in fact it is how many pieces of high-tech laboratory equipment reach their design temperature. It is of course a highly specialized field but it doesnt stop garage tinkerers from attempting the same in the quest for a few extra MHz. And sadly, one of them did so with fatal results. Looking over the physical data for various gases, one overclocker selected oxygen as having the ideal boiling point for his next inner phase. He duly procured lab-grade oxygen and charged his cascade. A few moments after he switched it on, it violently exploded, killing both him and his helping mate, since he did not take into account the lubricant bath that the compressor internals sit in.

Oil + oxygen = BOMB!!!

Last edited:
Wiki says that acetylene is "intrinsically unstable", although it doesnt go into much detail apart from stating that it will spontaneously and explosively self-react when placed under high pressure.

Your note on the oil reminds me of an anecdote I'd like to share from my younger days. I used to be an avid computer hardware afficionado and used to overclock my equipment way past the design specs. To do this you had to up supply voltages and whatnot and also get rid of the heat generated. The colder the better; supercooled CPUs are able to overclock significantly. To that end I adopted, as I am wont to do, another hobby area of interest namely phase-change refrigeration. I successfully built my own system using a freezer compressor and a copper evaporator mangled from a block of copper using a hand-held swing drill and soldered-on cap. Crude, but it worked.

The serious overclockers in search of performance records employed what is known as a cascade - the outer cascade's evaporator would cool the condensor of an inner stage, which used a gas with a lower boiling point. Multi-stage cascades can be created this way, in fact it is how many pieces of high-tech laboratory equipment reach their design temperature. It is of course a highly specialized field but it doesnt stop garage tinkerers from attempting the same in the quest for a few extra MHz. And sadly, one of them did so with fatal results. Looking over the physical data for various gases, one overclocker selected oxygen as having the ideal boiling point for his next inner phase. He duly procured lab-grade oxygen and charged his cascade. A few moments after he switched it on, it violently exploded, killing both him and his helping mate, since he did not take into account the lubricant bath that the compressor internals sit in.

Oil + oxygen = BOMB!!!

Also a cheap sabotage trick used against combat planes by smearing grease inside oxygen supplies lines. Specially at high altitudes

C2H2 is considered unstable in its pure form, therefore is it dissolved in acetone within the cylinders used in this application. Once is is liberated from solution and mixed with oxygen, it is that instability which allows it to be used as intended - readily being oxidized in the flame. In solution, it is stable enough to be handled.

Interesting reading here, regarding the specifics of some of the safety hazards of Acetylene: http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsofacetylene.htm

Also a cheap sabotage trick used against combat planes by smearing grease inside oxygen supplies lines. Specially at high altitudes

Nasty! A good reason not to procure military components from "overseas", if you follow me.

Back