Oxy-acc Life Span

C2H2 is considered unstable in its pure form, therefore is it dissolved in acetone within the cylinders used in this application. Once is is liberated from solution and mixed with oxygen, it is that instability which allows it to be used as intended - readily being oxidized in the flame. In solution, it is stable enough to be handled.

Interesting reading here, regarding the specifics of some of the safety hazards of Acetylene: http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsofacetylene.htm

What happens to the acetone? Does it remain behind to shlosh around in the tank?

Well, there is a porous material to keep the "sloshing" down, but yes it does. The reason the cylinders are not to be used lying down, or after storage on their side is to allow the acetone to be reabsorbed into this material. The vapor pressure of acetone is greater than that of acetylene, so evaporation is minimal. Eventually, and I suspect as part of the hydro testing regimen, the acetone level is evaluated.

Kind of works like the carbon dioxide in soda/pop. Except there is no sponge in a Coke. :)

Hah, or one of those clever plastic gadgets inside a can of Guinness.

The acetone is not used up. It remains in the tank to absorb more acetylene when the tank is recharged. Also, it doesn't slosh around. The tank is filled with a media such as diatomaceous earth. The media is soaked with acetone and then acetylene is dissolved in the acetone. This makes it impossible for bubbles of acetylene large enough to cause an explosion to form. If you lay the bottle down some of the acetone may dribble out into the neck and the throat of the valve so that when you turn on the valve you get a squirt of acetone.

Ahem, tanks for dat :). This forum is great.

I did a bit of goggling.

bsphoto0136.jpg

bsphoto0136.jpg

bsphoto0136.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very informative, thank you to all who are contributing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also probably already noted if you take the tanks to be filled especially the acetylene do not lay them down if you half to, let them stand a day before usng after filled

New tanks are issued with screw on protective caps to protect the necks of the cylinders. Make sure you have them and use them whenever tanks are removed from a secure holder. An oxygen tank has between two and three thousand psi in it. If the tank falls over and the neck breaks off the cylinder will become an unguided missile going thru walls and just about anything else in it's way. I don't believe it's legal to transport cylinders on the road without the caps. When you're done using them shut the gas valves and turn the regulators out to zero psi. This will preserve the accuracy of the regulators and be an extra safeguard in case the cylinder shut off valve leaks. Acetylene is heavier than air and is highly explosive. Try to store the tanks in a spot that won't allow the gas to pool in the event of an acetylene leak.

Here policy is not to allow customers to transport in enclosed vehicles. I believe they do make an exception on the "B" cylinders that A/C guys carry in their vans. They will not, however, load a 2500PSIG O2 tank in the trunk of your car!

Back