Oxygen / Acetylene Tank Cart

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I just bought some oxygen / acetylene tanks and I looking for ideas for building a cart to keep them stored on. The Oxygen bottle is 280cf and the acetylene is 100cf.
The tanks have been around for quite a while and will need to be hydro tested but $50 bucks for the pair was hard to resist. Especially when the guy said if they don't pass hydro testing he wouldn't charge me for them.
Anyway Looking for photos of what everyone else has for carts to get some ideas.

Last edited:
i just bought some oxygen / acetylene tanks and i looking for ideas for building a cart to keep them stored on. The oxygen bottle is 280cf and the acetylene is 100cf.
The tanks have been around for quite a while and will need to be hydro tested but $50 bucks for the pair was hard to resist. Especially when the guy said if they don't pass hydro testing he wouldn't charge me for them.
Anyway looking for photos of what everyone else has for carts to get some ideas.

the best thing i have seen, is the hand truck style. This hand truck is a bit wider to fit the bottles and the shoe a bit longer to be more stable. And a way to chain or strap them to the cart. And depending on the terrain will determine the size of the wheels. Then you can fix a tray on the back side for torches and hand tools. Hope this helps.

Have fun
dennis

20131116_104855_zps93abe3ea.jpg

Here's one that I made 20 years ago. It has served me well. Made out of bed rails and black pipe. I made it "skinny" so it would be easier to squeeze through my cluttered garage. It also doesn't take up much room when it's stored away in a corner because of it's skinny stature.:))

20131116_104855_zps93abe3ea.jpg

I've use an old two wheeler with solid wheels (larger wheels would help with portability around the yard).
This is a super inexpensive option that works well. However, be sure to engineer a chain to secure the tanks, a nylon strap is not enough.
I've use an old pipe between the tanks to store rod.
The "skinny" below is a great idea!

Daryl
MN

If you have anyworry of OSHA, then you need a hour fire rated divider between the tanks. ie thin plate.

Hydro test used to be for O2 only. I reckon it's a pressure issue. Acetylene - if the container is in good shape they have a fusible link that blows in emergency. Not subject to testing- I think

The cart from Harbor Freight looks great but I'm a little skeptical about pneumatic tires and spoked wheels. The one in the previous post looks the same except for the wheels.

Back