Oxygen therapy

Is oxygen toxicity a concern? Or is 2.5 atmospheres not high enough for that to happen? My memory from scuba training is foggy.

Anyway, best wishes. I hope it leads to a good recovery.

Is oxygen toxicity a concern? Or is 2.5 atmospheres not high enough for that to happen? My memory from scuba training is foggy.

Anyway, best wishes. I hope it leads to a good recovery.
Apparently it is possible. From what I remember, they said you take two "breaks" breathing regular atmospheric mix (still at 2.5 atmospheres) to reduce any chances. And there is a nurse present continously to monitor.

I'm more worried about sinus problems, will need to remember to take otc antihistamines beforehand. Never had a chance to scuba dive, but used to fly in the mid-teens unpressurized, so I'm familiar with pressure change effects on my ears.

They provide a urinal. Basically you can't take anything in with you. They provide an approved gown to wear.
That answered my questions.
If their audio system has an AUX jack, perhaps you could forearm yourself with an iPod and appropriate playlist.

Sweet dreams and best wishes for the optimum outcome.

First session done, 29 more to go.
What do you do while stuck in a 32" ID tube, 80" long, for 2 hours while at 2 atmospheres?
I was calculating total pressure on the tube. 2*pi*r, call that 100" circumference, * 80", so 8000 sq in. Call it 15psi for one atmosphere. So 120,000 lbs of force total on that tube of clear plastic per atmosphere of pressure. Then add the force on the end caps, I'll spare you that math.

Probably not the smartest thing to do while trapped in there, at least I didn't watch a documentary on the Titan submarine while so entertained.

LOL, we were doing HBO at the same time. I ended up doing (60) sessions through December.
"oxygen toxicity" is not much of a concern. Down here they called it 'taking a dive'
It's basically the same principle as the large chambers you see divers use for decompression.
First session and I came out in with so much pain in my ears, I wanted to scream. (can't do that anymore.)
Ended up that I needed to get tubes put in my ears like some kid.
They didn't have time for a local or for putting me in twilight, and that was bloody painful.
After that smooth sailing. Watch a whole lot of movies, a lot of movies.
Then I've meant a gent in one of the cancer support groups from Georgia who was going to have to start on it.
He was apprehensive, but another lady and myself got him on track and he's off to a good start.

@rabler What side effects did you get from radiation treatments? What's the goal here to raise your oxygen levels? Seems there is a way easier to do that called EPO.

I've resisted for over a year and have finally agreed to do hyperbaric oxygen therapy to address side effects of radiation treatment. Suppose to have about a 60-70% success rate. The reason I've resisted is it is 30 daily sessions, a little over 2 hours each, in a chamber at 2.5 atmospheres pressure, pure oxygen. Captive therapy ...
Wish me luck. And even more importantly, wish me the patience to not go crazy. Due to the fire risk, no paper or reading material, no electronics. Lots of time to dream about shop projects. Or ideally, to nap.

And yes, jokes have already been made about using a welding O2 cylinder. And a few passing references to an early Apollo mission fire.
my family will keep you in our thoughts and prayers....

This is a mildly dated thread. 2023 *really* sucked medically. I managed 12 sessions of hyperbaric treatment. Just couldn't do anymore, it was psychological hell. Even with xanax. I still have erratic hematuria from the radiation cystitis. It hasn't been obstructive so not troublesome. Problem was that hematuria can be an indication of bladder cancer, which is ruled out with via cystoscopy, which resulted in obstructive hematuria, thus the HBO. Sometimes the treatment is worse than the problem. That was after a couple hospitalization round from Crohn's obstructions. A few months (November) later my wife broke her leg badly, she is just recently walking without a cane. Obviously getting older means more problems but we're hoping for a reprieve in 2024.

@rabler What side effects did you get from radiation treatments? What's the goal here to raise your oxygen levels? Seems there is a way easier to do that called EPO.
HBO is meant to briefly hyper-oxygenate body tissues to promote healing. Typically used to treat chronic injuries from diabetic cappillary damage, often in the feet, where normal circulatory system is comprimised. Radiation used in cancer treatments can also damage cappilaries. Since the cappillaries are damaged/missing in both cases, raising the red cell count via EPO is not currently considered to be a valid treatment.

Radiation cystitis occurs as the body attempts to re-develop better circulation in those tissues. Unfortunately the the blood vessels that regrow tend to be initially very fragile and thus inclined to rupture. The goal of HBO is to accelerate that regrowth so that they develop past the fragile stage.

Note: While I try to get a good understanding of my own medical issues, I'm not an M.D., so my apologies to the medical profession if I've butchered anything ...

Last edited:
Back