Painting a Craftsman/Atlas lathe

Be sure to visit Tractor Supply and grab a can of their catalyst/hardener. It works with Rustoleum or their brand of enamel and makes it cure much faster and harder than air dried enamel.

Tom
Hardeners/Catalysts are DEADLY POISONS ,TO BE USED ONLY WITH FULL SUIT AND EXTERNAL BREATHING AIR. Ask me about Isocyanate Poisoning, It's what put me out of business.BLJHB

Hardeners/Catalysts are DEADLY POISONS ,TO BE USED ONLY WITH FULL SUIT AND EXTERNAL BREATHING AIR. Ask me about Isocyanate Poisoning, It's what put me out of business.BLJHB

I looked at this product on several websites and none of them show any special warnings for it. I tried to look at the MSDS, but the manufacturer screwed up and put the product description document on the MDSD link, so it's of no use. I know that we take special precautions here at work for working around isocyanates, but per our safety training, only a small percentage of the population is sensitive to its effects and you really don't know who is until they are exposed. Some people can also become sensitized through repeated exposure. Nevertheless, other common products contain isocyanates such as Great Stuff foam sealant. My standard procedure for using any such chemicals is to do it in a well ventilated area with addition exposure protection (gloves, safety glasses) as deemed prudent.

I've been painting my machines with graphite color wheel paint. I've found it to be great so I painted the cover on the cross slide on my lathe. So far it has held up very well given it gets splashed with coolant and cutting fluid quite a bit.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheelCoating/

Not a huge selection of color, but the graphite comes out quite nice I think.

Ajax-20130427-00152.jpg

Ajax-20130427-00152.jpg

I've been painting my machines with graphite color wheel paint. I've found it to be great so I painted the cover on the cross slide on my lathe. So far it has held up very well given it gets splashed with coolant and cutting fluid quite a bit.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheelCoating/

Not a huge selection of color, but the graphite comes out quite nice I think.

View attachment 63246

That does look good. When will we see a picture posted with it painted and assembled?

[video=youtube;_aotdl-8MwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aotdl-8MwQ&list=TLmj0OdSuurXN9S0h2OZamRsK6JLy0U_cJ[/video]

Ajax-20130505-00239.jpg
Below is with the slow speed extra pulley block I made for it to drop speed down to 100rpm.
Ajax-20130605-00432.jpg

I have since added a new pulley cover and the top spindle cover but don't have a pick of that handy.

That does look good. When will we see a picture posted with it painted and assembled?

Ajax-20130505-00239.jpg Ajax-20130605-00432.jpg

[video=youtube;_aotdl-8MwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aotdl-8MwQ&list=TLmj0OdSuurXN9S0h2OZamRsK6JLy0U_cJ[/video]

View attachment 63247
Below is with the slow speed extra pulley block I made for it to drop speed down to 100rpm.
View attachment 63248

I have since added a new pulley cover and the top spindle cover but don't have a pick of that handy.

Thanks for following up so promptly. Good job. Looks GREAT!

Massey Ferguson gray is an ideal match for the original paint. You can get it at stores like Tractor Supply.

For anyone viewing this site at a later date I use Van Sickle ford dark gray 9n/2n paint. It's a real close match to original You can get it at a Orschlens farm and home rattle cans, quarts, gallons, but the thinner-reducer they recommend dries way to slow so I use automotive type reducer. Just match so it's the right type. I have done it this way for many many years. Otis

OK - I'm in the same boat as you .
I need to strip down and clean - including paint an older QCGB 42.
I love the Hammered Gray/Silver.
I usually go with OEM colors for Restorations (just see the bikes in the aviator).

To the guy with the Green/Red Trim I'm seriously jealous of the complete machine with Coolant Pan! - Beautiful Machine.

My old lathe was medium blue when I bought it so I painted it a similar color: Rustoleum Royal Blue from a rattle can. That was in 2009.

This photograph was taken in 2013:

Turning_Delrin_Bushings.JPG

Back