Painting NEW Import Lathe?

Is the original paint really that bad?? The 1236-T is only just starting to really take off in popularity, but the 1340-GT has been the flagship lathe for years and years. Seems like if the paint is not bonded well then people would be mentioning that, no? (Not arguing; just asking)

That’s my experiences with my 2012 14x40 and my 90 era jet lathe. Their paint is garbage compared to oil base rustoleum.

Interesting! I'll have to dig into this a bit more. Really wasn't interested in stripping the paint, but maybe that's a route to go down...

Interesting! I'll have to dig into this a bit more. Really wasn't interested in stripping the paint, but maybe that's a route to go down...

You will find out how well it's attached when you give it a little rub with sand paper :)

Stu

Wilco, I agree with Z2V, it’s your dream machine, paint’er up!

The paint on my 4-year old PM1340GT is doing fine.

I too am a fan of machines in gray as it just looks correct. I feel that most import machines end up looking far cheaper in quality than the class they are in with the spectrum of colors they get painted and the tacky fonts used on the placards. White is ok in my book but the blue color used on PM machine stands would drive me nuts. Grizzly green is also major deterrent to purchasing a machine from those guys. My vote is in favor of making the machine how you want it if you feel that its something you're going to hang onto. I know that I would be painting it first thing if it was my machine.

If it is what you want, go for it! I'm not a fan of the white of my pm1440gs. I use the machine to make things, the machine is cleaned and taken care of, but it is a machine not a toy or show piece and white is near impossible to keep looking good. I see a paint job in the future for my machine to make it look like all the other machines in my shop.

If I had the ambition, I'd paint my lathe and mill black. I had a mill that was black and really liked that color.

Man that's for sure!!! I just got through all the pics myself. What an incredible machine!
"Incredible" is an understatement. I've seen a lot of impressive posts here and marvelous creativity, but this is in the upper tier!

WOW! Yes!! This is what I was looking for! Do you happen to know if there's a forum thread somewhere that chronicles these photos?
I do not, suggest you send a message to David directly.....

Back