Pantograph engraver

Brento

Registered
Registered
I may be coming home with this kit next weekend. Kind of excited to work on it!

Oh very cool!
What are your plans for it?

Not sure yet. Maybe try to sell engraved key chains with my wife’s business. Have the ability to engrave my own tooling work or even customers (when i get some)

Nice!
My knowledge of pantographs comes from type-making where a large size drawing of a letter is reduced down to maybe 1/8" tall as a step toward casting the type.

I may be coming home with this kit next weekend. Kind of excited to work on it!

The plural of stylus is stylii, not stylusies

Yup can be reduced or enlarged wording. Could be very useful

Trying to enlarge when milling the article is quite shaky and problematic even at a ratio of 1:1, even with a very competent machine, the tail is trying to wag the dog, also any detail in the copy is magnified in the engraving. The text in the ad for the machine kit gives no credit to George Gorton, who built pantograph engravers long before 1930.

Have you ever tried to drill and tap a bunch of holes and in a neat pattern? And in thick plate? I totally get the pride in making your own. But maybe check out a Hermes. Or better yet a Gorton. Or a modern CNC panno.

My vote goes to Gorton, you can do much more than simple engraving with them; mine is a 3-U, also the P1-2 is a good choice. If all one wanted to do was simple flat engraving, the kit mentioned would be adequate.

All i plan to do is flat engraving no 3d work. Plus it is a cheap fun project

Back