Pared Down 1440GT Order

In what way does the belt pop off? My machine stalls, and I have to back off or hit the e-stop.

Is that at all alarming for you with the belt pops off? I am no longer alarmed because the machine has always started back up again for me. I imagine that my belt is slipping on the pulleys when it is stalling; if this is not the case, then a lot of heat would be generated in the motor while it is stalling, as I understand it.

So how long would it take you to part a 2” diameter mild steel round bar? How many times would you bury the parting blade into the work during this process?
The drive belt setup looks like this: (this is not my lathe but same setup)
Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.20.02 AM.png

What happens is the belt slips off the spindle pulley. In the picture it would move to the left. It's a complete non-event. I just turn off the lathe, release the tension lever so I can reinstall the belt and away I go.
I have parted 1.25" 1018 steel in about 15'ish minutes. I cannot imagine it taking an hour. One thing to note is that I don't use the power cross slide when I part.

Your parting experiences may be improved by setting the QCTP as far to the right as possible so that the tool does not hang over the front of the cross slide; this what I found out with my 9" Monarch, if the tool overhangs it tends to lean over to the left and bind up, stalling the spindle; move the post to the right and it goes away. This machine is not worn or loose in any way, but it does this every time, except in parting very small diameters. I use a 3/32" wide tool, anything smaller is too flexible. On my old lathe, a 14" gear head American, I broke a lot of parting blades using Armstrong angled holders in a rocker tool post (before I bought an Aloris CA QCTP) if the tool hung up, the rocker post would allow the blade to pull down and twist in the cut, breaking the blade, this I cured by making a solid ring the proper height to bring the blade on center; very few broken blades after that, same with the Aloris post.

Yes, parting with power feed on (especially) a small lathe is positively asking for trouble, even on a large heavy lathe it is chancey, the exception is a turret lathe with backside cutoff and plenty of cutting oil.

Very helpful parting info. Maybe part of the problem is that I have the compound at a 30° angle!

I just realized that by default I have the compound parallel to the ways and back out so the toolpost is over top of the cross slide.

Yes, parting with power feed on (especially) a small lathe is positively asking for trouble, even on a large heavy lathe it is chancey, the exception is a turret lathe with backside cutoff and plenty of cutting oil.

I have never parted with power feed, and I don’t ever plan to do so.

Very helpful parting info. Maybe part of the problem is that I have the compound at a 30° angle!
So do I, it does not matter generally as long as the exposed left side of the compound does not interfere with the chuck.

So I guess parting with the compound set at a 30° angle on a 10” swing lathe is not the best plan?

Oh, I see what you’re saying. I can leave the compound set at a 30° angle, and just manipulate the cross slide and compound so that the QCTP is as far to the right as possible.

Back