Pared Down 1440GT Order

It is OK as long as you don't hit the chuck jaws.

I am always very careful to look at that, as well as turn the chuck by hand to make sure that I have clearance everywhere.

While it would be too late by that point, one can confirm that the parting tool is at the right height by observing the diameter of the pip that remains after the parting operation.

So, I guess you guys are sheltering in place as well? Erik, I guess you know that I am just over the mountain from you?

So, I guess you guys are sheltering in place as well? Erik, I guess you know that I am just over the mountain from you?

I have been home almost 100% of the time for 5 weeks, but I am going back to work (UPS driver in Calistoga) on May 18. I’m scared.

I am also considering saving up for another year or so and acquiring a 16” swing PM machine mainly for the purpose of getting away from change gears.

If I find out that the taper attachment on a 16” swing machine is not limited to 10” of travel then I will wait and get the big boy.

Whatever I end up doing, I have zero problems working on my 1030V until I get a larger machine.

Edit: I see that both taper attachments off up to a 10 degree taper and a 10" length.

Last edited:
I have been home almost 100% of the time for 5 weeks, but I am going back to work (UPS driver in Calistoga) on May 18. I’m scared.
I hear you! I do not worry much, as there has not been very many cases in the upper valley, only one in St. Helena, and that was early on, and Calistoga has had very few, there are currently no hosptalizations in Napa County. I have stayed home nearly all the time, except to take rides and one time to visit my daughter and family near Occidental. I keep at home as much as I can, due to age and health issues.

I would advise, wait until you can afford the 16" with QCGB, I do not think you would regret it. Way back in the day with letters to American Machinist magazine there was a rivalry to see who could make the tinyest parts on the biggest machine, like watch screws on like a 36" lathe! I suppose onr could google it, maybe I will! I've heard the story from older machinists like 50 plus years ago ---

Back