Part 2 of 2 - G4003G DROPROS EL400 DRO Magnetic Scale Install

I just encountered this thread also, and was wondering the same thing. I make heavy use of the cross-slide gib lock, and would be very reluctant to give it up. I don't yet see how it can be avoided.

Is it possible to drill and tap the other side of the CS to position the lock screw there? I gotta check into that. I'm planning to get the dro installed next weekend. Well, I hope. :rolleyes:

did you do anything about the crosslide lock screw when mounting the scale? Thanks

Here's a solution:

Hi Splat

I looked at the hole on the chuck side of the cross-slide but there is no gib over there, so the point of any screw would drag directly on the internal dove tail, so I think that is a no go.

The solution in DarkZero's post is interesting, particularly for the older magnetic scales, but after further contemplation, I think I may move my gib screw towards the front of the lathe about an inch or so. Then there should be plenty of room to mount the new shorter super-slim magnetic scales on the aft side of the gib screw (see pic below), and the read-head on the aft "outrigger" of the saddle. Will likely have to remove the cross-slide to drill and tap the new hole for the gib screw but that's no biggie. My cross slide travel is only about 6-1/4 inches.

I'll call DroPros next week for more info. I really like EL400 digital head I've had on my mill for about 6 years. Won't be too happy to change heads but alas.

Lathe_cross_slide_gib_lock_screw.jpg

Last edited:
If you put the magnetic scale horizontal vs. vertical you will have access the the gib lock, the scale takes up the same space either way. Alternative is to set the veticakl scale off with a 1/2" spacer and turn a locking arm lever, there are lots of previous examples. You can also put a lock on the other side, I did that on my 1340GT and will be doing the same on my new lathe. I toss all the scale brackets that come with the DRO's, they look pretty junky and cobbled together. I have been installing the DRO below the last 2 days, it is an Easson 12B with glass scales for the X and Zo, and a magnetic scale for the tailstock. A lot more cost effective then the EL700 that I have on my mill.

I looked at the hole on the chuck side of the cross-slide but there is no gib over there, so the point of any screw would drag directly on the internal dove tail, so I think that is a no go.

DRO PROs has a video (4) of them installing their DRO stuff on a G4003G. You should look those up.

I have watched the videos and on the cross-slide they just cover the gib screw hole with the scale.

The scale on my cross slide is mounted on standoffs so that the gibs can be adjusted with short allen wrenches. 289502289503

Back