Parting blade crashed into lathe

Had a lot of parting to do at work.
had them buy me a really nice insert type parting tool.
On the first part, I broke the whole end of it off.
They bought me another one & when it came in I put it in a drawer (with the inserts it used) and continued to use the HSS blade (that worked fine) parting tool. Probably still in that drawer.
Parting is such sweet sorrow…

Had a lot of parting to do at work.
had them buy me a really nice insert type parting tool.
On the first part, I broke the whole end of it off.
They bought me another one & when it came in I put it in a drawer (with the inserts it used) and continued to use the HSS blade (that worked fine) parting tool. Probably still in that drawer.
I had a solid carbide parting bar. it worked great, until it just snapped off one day. :cry:
I loved that thing. It was a little wider than I prefer, I have no idea why it snapped, I tried putting an edge on the snapped piece, but it's not the same.

Yes you are not alone, the parting tool is the evil nemesis of every Lathe user.
I wan't to enjoy and respect it, however, we are still at odds.

Such a happy result that the tool holder was the weak link!

Got to print that out and frame.
Pun Of The Day!
Next to single pointing square threads; parting, for many, is the most hesitant of lathe operations.

Considering various materials, much stems from non-perfect perpendicularity, poorly matched feed rate to RPM, poorly prepared tool form, inadequate chip ejection, inadequate coolant supply, inadequate rigidity, excess stick out. A machinist benefits having choice among various set-ups too; upside down tool, back tool posts, HSS vs carbide, sprung and un-sprung holders, for starters.

I guarantee; across 100 machinists, no two have same resources of equipment, tooling, experience. Maybe one in 100 writes down set-ups that worked and set-ups that didn't.

Is your tool holder cast iron? Steel doesn't usually break like that.

Asian copies of Aloris might be pressure cast, or case hardened, though fracture & break looks 'deeper'. They have no earmarks being machined from the solid. But enough force breaks any tool steel.

"Nothing Too Strong Ever Broke" - Tom Lipton, oxtoolco.com

Is your tool holder cast iron? Steel doesn't usually break like that.

I remachined that parting toolholder into a normal toolholder and it is made out of case hardened steel. The case hardening was in fact very hard, HSS endmills did nothing but rubbing, barely leaving a mark on the surface. I had to resort to carbide. But once the hard surface layer was removed, drilling and milling with hss was no problem.

Back