• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Parting Blade Question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

WarrenP

Hi Everyone, I have what Im sure is an easy question for most of you. I installed a quicj change tool post on my G0752 lathe. With it came a cut off blade holder. It says I need to use a blade that is Parrellel top and bottom. Does that mean I can not use a T shaped blade in it or is that ok? Thanks for your time on this.

WarrenP

I’m kinda new if this is what you’re calling a T type blade I use it with my quick change blade holder without issue in fact it’s the best kind of parting blade I’ve used
Yes that's the blade im talking about, I like them too, but not sure since the manufacturer says to use a parrellel top and bottom blade if it is ok to use this on my holder. Hopefully someone can answer this... Thanks.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Those parting tools can be used in the typical QCTP holders, but benefit from a shim betwwen the lower half of the blade and the toolholder. This will keep the tool square to the face of the toolholder, as well as the work. I used a small feeler guage on mine, but anything of the correct thickness will work.

MSD0

Yes that's the blade im talking about, I like them too, but not sure since the manufacturer says to use a parrellel top and bottom blade if it is ok to use this on my holder. Hopefully someone can answer this... Thanks.
The top and bottom are parallel.

killswitch505

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I’m sure we’re using the same tool holder. I run the T type without any issue. The only time I’ve had any issue was setting tool height, that was before using the T type blades once I figured that out parting went from being a nightmare to being just another task.

WarrenP

OK, sounds good, I will shim the cutoff blade and all should be good (after I get one). Thanks all for the replies. Warren

benmychree

John York
I use T type blades in my ordinary Aloris tool holder all the time with no problems and no shims; Having said that, I think it would be a good idea to relieve the tool holder in the area of the projecting side of the T. Another thought; ordinary parting blades are tapered top to bottom for clearance, but the holders such as the Aloris do not attempt to match that angle.

[6]
[5] [7]